Is my 15 month old behind?

I'm very sorry this is a long post. Please read only if you don't mind such a long post! Please don't criticize.. I'm writing this just because I am anxious and have nobody to turn to. After talking to a few friends who are moms and have kids the same age as my son (15 months), I'm worried... show more I'm very sorry this is a long post. Please read only if you don't mind such a long post! Please don't criticize.. I'm writing this just because I am anxious and have nobody to turn to.

After talking to a few friends who are moms and have kids the same age as my son (15 months), I'm worried and wondering if my son is behind on his dev. milestones.

His pediatrician didn't think so - but then his pediatrician rarely thinks anything's wrong and has a "everything will work out in the end" attitude. But that's another story, another vent.

My son started walking independently at 14.5 months. However, he will not leave whatever he's holding onto (furniture, ledge, bed) and start walking on his own. He first needs to grab something else (like me) with one hand, and then lets go of the other, then takes a few steps and lets go of my hand and walks the rest of the way independently.

He also keeps walking till he can grab something. He does'nt stop midway. He doesn't have the confidence to let go of both his hands and start walking. He doesn't sit up from sleeping position or stand from sitting position on his own. He doesn't climb either. He tries to pick up stuff from the floor when he's standing but doesn't bend too far and hence gives up. If he doesn't get anything right (like shape sorting), he flings his toys away.

He says three words (mama, bye, peekaboo) and once in a while says the fourth word "up".
He doesn't recognize animals or shapes.
He does imitate itsy bitsy spider and five little monkeys.
I read to him and he points to pictures. But books don't hold his attention too long.
He colors, and stacks. Those are his favorite activities.

He can imitate a few things like when I say hello hello he pretends to pick up a phone, he signals 1 with his finger, points to his nose (or sufficiently close by), knows the signs for milk, all done, more and cheese. He drinks from a sippy. He knows how to eat on his own, but prefers not to most of the time. If I give him bits of cheese, he just flings the pieces across the room.

He never crawled. Went straight to walking.

I unfortunately (I hate myself for this), put him in front of the tv for half an hour or so in the morning when I need to get ready for work. He watches nursery rhymes. He wants someone in front of him all the time which is not possible if I have to get to work.

My friends talk of their 15 month olds speaking more than 10 words, climbing structures, recogniing animals and sounds, running, eat on their own etc. Should I get my son checked out?

He was born at 37 weeks and weighed 5lbs due to my gestational diabetes. He's below average for weight (he weighs 20 pounds) and just above average for height acc to his pediatrician. But he just seems small for his age. I often bump into kids at gymboree or his daycare where kids 4-5 months younger than him are much bigger. I often have people comment (very rude acc to me) how small he is.. how they thought he was 9 months at the most etc. He eats well. He was breastfed for a year till he weaned himself off. I cook healthy food for him every day. I don't know what else to do.

Is he behind? Should I get him checked out at one of those early intervention centers?

He's a happy child. He's loved. I'm just worried abt his milestones and abilities.