Will a lake or pond with an alligator living in it have a healthy population of fish?

Enough for the alligator and fishermen? My hubby spotted a gator at his new fishing spot and we were told that there would be no point fishing there. True? I figure the gator must be eating something.

Favorite Answer

no there will still be plenty of fish, the gator probably won't be able to catch many fish and will probably feed mainly on raccoons or whatever else comes to drink at the lake

Source(s): live in fl and theres gators and fish EVERYWHERE
  • zipper

Besides fish Mr. Gator eats turtles, frogs, birds, stray fishermen, and any thing else unlucky enough to get in the way. I would say the fish population should be good. Just be careful!

• Andrew

ya sure the gator most likley eats birds cause fish are hard to grab i live in the north and we have tons of snapping and normal turtles that love to eat fish but i could still catch fish you have one gator and my pond has about 20 snapping turtles. though i wouldnt fish there just cause that gator will wait right under the bank youll have no idea he is there and if you catch a fish with all the splashing the gator has a easy dinner. its also a danger to you

There can be lots of fish, yes. I live in the Florida everglades so there are tons of alligators, watersnakes etc. and there is still a lot of tilapia. I see people fishing around here all the time