I need to know what I need to do to be licensed in Ohio for a teaching job.?

I am currently earning my Bachelors degree online through Ashford University in Education Studies. I will be finished within the year and need to know how I go about getting licensed. I have read all the information on the Ohio Department of Education site and I am so confused. It doesn't make sense. Do I have to take a preparation course or something?


I forgot to mention I will be double majoring in Applied Behavioral Science and Education Studies and I know for sure my college is accredited. Thanks

3 Answers

  • jc
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The short answer is-- you aren't going to teach in Ohio with a degree from Ashford. I don't know if you saw the recent hearings in Congress, but they were noted as a "scam" by the head of one of the Senate Education committees. Ashford is not approved for teaching certification in Ohio. Yes, the do have regional accreditation, but that does not in itself mean the credits are accepted by ODE. This school has cheated so many people from their dreams of becoming a teacher and left them with debt, it's not funny.

    Anyway, to get a teaching job, you have a couple of options.

    1. Transfer to an approved program listed on the ODE website. (saving yourself thousands in tuition)

    2. Finish your degree at Ashford (if, let's say, you have a full scholarship and are receiving an absolutely free education), and once you are finished, you can enroll in a graduate program that will allow you earn an alternate route teaching certificate. You will not have "a" preparation course, you will have to go back and do some serious graduate level work and labs through either the ODE or an approved program.

    Sorry to hear these folks have made things difficult for another person aspiring to be a teacher. There are options out their for you, and you can do it if you are motivated, but you shouldn't have to take all these extra steps-- Ashford should have told you this in the beginning and referred you to an online program at an ODE approved school.

  • 9 years ago

    Ohio may not permit a degree in education studies. Many states want you to major in something other than education in order to teach. That's the risk with online courses: they promise you the earth and then aren't accepted as accredited. However, if Ohio accepts your BA, then you'll have to do one more year to get your teaching credential. This involves student teaching as well as educational courses, so you won't be able to do much online.

  • wunder
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    It is viable however your spouse will have to be aware of learning to receive certification. Some states have emergency licenses. Sometimes they make exceptions for tough to fill positions. Sometimes transitority licenses are given for a brief interval of time. They can also be exceptions for constitution and individual faculties. Your spouse is at a drawback in acquiring any role and in earnings. To uncover out the definitive reply for your query you'll be able to touch both the college district wherein the constitution college is placed, your state schooling division or the constitution college itself. Good success.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.