Why are some Marines too cocky? And why do I want to be one so bad?

The first part of the question is not meant in an offensive way. In all honesty it is a sincere question. I'll explain: Ever since I was 13 I had decided I want to be in the military. Many things I wanted to do. I wanted to command a submarine. Become a fighter pilot for the Navy. Join the Army and go... show more The first part of the question is not meant in an offensive way. In all honesty it is a sincere question. I'll explain:
Ever since I was 13 I had decided I want to be in the military. Many things I wanted to do. I wanted to command a submarine. Become a fighter pilot for the Navy. Join the Army and go Airborne, 101st, or E.O.D. Or a scout-sniper. At first I was bent on going to Annapolis. But When I started high school I looked into the Marines. Most people seemed surprised that I had forgotten everything else and set my mind on becoming a simple Marine grunt.

Do not get me wrong here: I am 17 now. During the past years I didn't waste time. I did all the research I could on options. I've read many, many books. From Field Manuals to "We Were Soldiers Once..." to Band Of Brothers and so on. Watched documentaries, films. I've talked to hundreds of people in the military, mostly Army and Marines, both young and old. Officers, NCO's. I always enjoyed talking to senior citizens, they seemed to be more straightforward and honest on how the **** goes down. Even talked to a few special forces guys. Didn't even bother talking or trashing about the Marines, just told me how I gotta have the right mentality before anything else. Basically, I am perfectly aware of what I am getting myself into. Prepared myself physically, mentally, and morally. I've gotten medically qualified and have an ASVAB score of 80.

But I noticed that when I speak to MOST (not all) Marines of today and they seem to have this attitude of "better than you". The Recruiter seems to want to get me depped in ASAP, while the Army Recruiter told me to think twice about infantry, because of my high score he said to think of a higher qualifying MOS that will help me after the service.

But really, why do some Marines act cocky just because they went to Basic Training for 4 more weeks? I've heard from new current Marine friends that boot camp wasn't as hard as they imagined, one was even honor grad. And another one couldn't run for **** before he left. With all due respect, as much as I want to be one, they're really not that different than the Army. Some act like they are the very best and so much better, even to as insulting other branches. Have they NOT HEARD of D-Day in Normandy? Or the German SS which the Army went against? Not heard of the Navy SEALs or Army Rangers? Marines seem to be brainwashed after boot camp, and by brainwashed I do mean THE MOST MENTALLY CONDITIONED. With the certain type of gung-ho attitude necessary for combat. But I've learned from old vets that too much of such attitude can and WILL get you killed. "In combat one can't forget common-sense" one told me.

So that's the honest question I'm curious about. All I'm saying is, each branch has their fair share of great battles and what not, so why do some Marines act like they don't exist? I talk to the Army guys, and they don't bother talking about Marines. But some Marines seem to just have to trash on Army. And also, why do I still want to become one so bad? I started my senior year, but still plan on enlisting. If I don't go Marines I will go Army and try to earn the title of Ranger and join the 75th.