Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Was the Genesis flood world wide, or just limited to a small area around Noah's house?

I have asked a few questions concerning the flood, time lines, and asking why the Egyptians, just across the Sinai, were not wiped out.

Some of the answers I have been getting are "It was just a local flood." "I don't think it was world wide".

The only conclusion I can come to is either these answerers are trying to justify something unjustifiable, or they are calling God a liar when he said:

Genesis 6-11 "Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth."

REPEAT: 13 "So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people"

God does NOT say: “I am going to put an end to the people in the local community, so I want you and your family to move to Egypt for a few months, and don't worry about taking any animals. "

@Edward The Less: "Why is it you believe those of us that are Christians have all the answers?"

This is an example, Edward, of Christians having NONE of the answers. No matter what half of them say, the other half says something different.

Additionally, this is the one and only source Christians claim as evidence for everything else they believe. If this has flaws in it (which, according to Christians, it DOES) then how can one attest to it's validity?

Finally, I am a firm believer in, if you do not like the question? Press the NEXT button.

@Lulu: so why didn't the Egyptians die?

@Believer: "Many archeologogists believe that the timeline of the Egyptians is greatly exagerated when you look at their written history.

Name 2.

@12345: so why didn't the Egyptians die?

@Eljefe Jajoe: so why didn't the Egyptians die?

Favorite Answer

Scientist and archeologists have reasoned that it was very localised,,probably when the Black Sea flooded at the end of the Ice Age some 10,000 years ago, the Epic Of Gilgamesh tells the same story but evidence directs us towards a localised cataclysmic event,

It`s got nothing to do with the Biblical account which is nothing more than a Bronze Age retelling of the story,,

The TD will be from someone who clearly is very frightened of seeking the truth by hiding their head in the sand,,sad really when we could be so much more,,

In the flood Scriptures, the words “earth & heavens” can be local and not global. The can also mean the earth as a land orl and not glob and the heavens as the visible arch of the sky. The earth being round allows that it could have been referring to the heavens viable from the flood locale. I know how they read in the English, but observe the Hebrew definitions from the Strong’s Concordance:

Gen 7:19

19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven , were covered. (KJV)

Definitions for above:

earth: Hebrew word #776 'erets (eh'-rets); from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land): KJV-- X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X nations, way, + wilderness, world.

heaven: Hebrew word #8064 shamayim (shaw-mah'-yim); dual of an unused singular shameh (shaw-meh'); from an unused root meaning to be lofty; the sky (as aloft; the dual perhaps alluding to the visible arch in which the clouds move, as well as to the higher ether where the celestial bodies revolve): KJV-- air, X astrologer, heaven (-s).

To illustrate the sometimes confusing English translations in our Bible (and showing why a Strong’s concordance is a most valuable study aid), I supple Cain’s discussion with God after God told Cain his punishment. Observe the use of the English phrase “thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth”. Here the word(s) “the earth” means ‘soil’ (Strong’s # 127). Surely Cain did not mean “off the face of the whole planet”. For Cain was driven of that soil that he was on into the land of Nod. Cain’s driving away was not global any more that the flood of Noah was global:

Gen 4:13-14

13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth [earth here = erets, as in the flood Scripture above]; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. (KJV)

That the reason for the Flood was men's hearts were continually evil and to kill the Giants in Gen 6:1-8, whom were the abominable to God offspring of Adam's daughters and the fallen angels.

That the Flood was restricted to the area were Adam's tribe lived and where this mixing of human and angelic being was taking place (Gen 6:1-7).

That the Hebrew will allow for "earth" being rendered "land, region, country" (and is in other places in the Bible), and that also "heaven" can be rendered "the visible arch in the sky" for as far as the eye can see due to earth's curvature.

That the other races (Black, White, Asia, Hispanic, ...) were untouched by the flood as they lived in another part of the earth.

That the only animals taken onto the Ark were the animals that were found in the region of the Flood (seven of every clean animal, and two of every unclean animal).

You see, God destroyed ALL people in the DAY of Noah, in the DAY of Lot and the DAY of Son of Man (during the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70) which means locally only, not worldwide.

The flewd was a metaphorical reference to the situation, which was like a tsunami or something hitting the region where Biblical traditions were practiced and kept. So Noah built the arc, but it only had animals from the region and stuff. Evolution happened before and after Noah and the flewd, and it didn't really destroy the whole world. The world was flat and small back then, with less mountains. The water evaporated and turned into clouds, which is why we have rain and snow today.

It was worldwide. When God said that He was going to put an end to all people, He meant ALL people. If it were just a local flood, there would have been no need to spend several years building an ark. They would have had plenty of time to leave the area and head for higher ground in the amount of time it took him to build the ark. And there is geological proof on every continent that shows that at one time that area had been completely under water.

Man, this flood account really has you fixated.

Why is it you believe those of us that are Christians have all the answers? We don't. The simple answer to this question for me is "I don't know". I know that's shocking, but seriously dude, we are followers of Jesus Christ, the Messiah. If the flood account bothers you so much, I'm sure there must be some books written on it. I appreciate your desire to get this straight in your mind, but few of us here have the tools necessary to answer your questions in depth.

It was worldwide. Like you said, God said "I'm going to put an end to ALL people." By all people he meant every person everywhere and the rainbow now is a promise that he will never flood the whole earth at the same time again.

it was worldwide all over the world is shown a worldwide flood. Christians know its out of the bible the evolutionist and there other followers say it happened millions of years ago so there was a worldwide flood what do you believe.

Thats the same with what do you shoose Heaven or hell?

World wide

Many archeologogists believe that the timeline of the Egyptians is greatly exagerated when you look at their written history.

No doubt, the Flood was global. There is much evidence....

1) Millions of fossils are found all over the world. Fossils are created when living organisms are buried rapidly. One common way fossils are created is by sediment, which is carried by flood waters, bury the organisms.

2) Marine fossils are found high up in every mountain range of the world.

3) Marine fossils are found together with fossils of land animals. This is unusual since they live in different environments from one another and are not normally found together.

4) Whale bones have been discovered buried hundreds of feet above sea level. One whale has even been discovered buried in the vertical position.

5) Fossils are found in all different situations of life: eating, giving birth, fighting, etc. This may remind you of the Bible verse……Matthew 24: 38-39.

6) Layers of sediments have been found extending over large regions of the country.

7) Studies indicate that large amounts of sediment have been transported to the southwest from the Pacific Northwest and from the Appalachians.

8) There is no evidence of erosion between geological layers which indicates that many layers were laid down at the same time.

9) Much vegetation is found buried in coal deposits.

10) Leaves have been found buried in Antarctica.

11) Thousands of fossilized trees have been found buried vertically running through many layers of strata, thought to be millions of years apart.

12) Mount St. Helens and Palouse Canyon indicate that moving water can cut deep, long canyons through solid rock in a very short period of time.

13) Man-made artifacts have been discovered very deep in geological layers including coal deposits, thought to be millions of years old.

14) Rocks, with known ages from recent volcanic activity, have been tested by Radiometric Dating and it has been shown that this method is inaccurate.

15) Folded rock layers indicate that they were wet when they were bent.

16) There are over 270 Global flood legions from all over the world that have many things in common that point to a worldwide flood.

Source(s): Donovan Courville, a biochemist from Loma Linda did extensive research into the Egyptian timeline. Mantheo's king lists overlap. Read "Exodus Problem and its Ramifications" Others who have researched the Egyptian dating problems are Lehmann, Barton, Velikovsky and von Fange.
  • Lynn

The Bible clearly states that the only people on earth who survived were Noah and his family. That runs contrary to the evidence from history and geology.