Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Thoughts on females playing football?

What are your thoughts on women playing football (whether it be high school or professional)? Should it be co-ed if they play together and if so do you think the girls would ever get to play? Just thoughts and opinions on the subject.... and what about scholarships (if its high school).

Thanks in advance :) (btw I think they should be able to play, just not co ed)

Favorite Answer

I think girls and boys should be given the same opportunities to participate in sports or any other activities.

Sex segregation is the separation of people according to their gender. Isn't this the same or similar thought path as Racial segregation? If men and women are truly equals then there shouldn't segregation, at least on the playing fields(locker room is a different story). I think it is great when I read a story or hear a story on the news about a girl making the football team. It's the right thing to do. If a person skills are good enough to play, then he/she should be able to play no matter what gender.

Co-ed would be the only way it could work, for now. Female athletic teams don't and wont generate the same cash revenue as male teams. I don't think there would be enough resources available to establish and maintain a separate female scholastic football team, on a national level. Professional female football just wouldn't be able to compete ($) with the NFL. I don't think there would be enough profits generated for the female leagues to expand and grow. It would be great, but I it doesn't seem to be a solid investment.

I think very few females would be able to compete with the males on the football field. I would love to see it, some day.

Equality should be instilled into the minds of our youth at an early age. Segregating scholastic activities is not teaching equality. It is segregating the boys from the girls. Saying boys can play football and girls can't, girls can play field hockey and boys can't. How about saying the children are playing, together. That to me sounds nice. There are no women playing football because we were not taught, in school at an early age, that males and females are equal.

Great question. It would be great to see sports being played with the most skilled players, whether male or female. But today's society isn't mature enough to be able to accept unity amongst the people, it's sad.

Personally, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with a female playing football, even on an all-male football team. I am very supportive of, and would highly encourage, any female that plays football.

Football should be co-ed, and the girls deserve (and should get) the opportunity to play. As for scholarships, if a girl performs very well in football during her senior year of high school, then she definitely deserves to get recruited and a scholarship to play for a college football program :)

I say throw a girl in there see what she does ya know? I played football and had slipped disks and concussions and tendon damage and cartilage damage lol girls want that? Sure cause guys find it sexy when your body is beat da hell for life! I have two boys who I can't get in the floor and play with due to my injuries but I knew the choices I made when playing football but I was also 240 lbs sooooo what do you think a 150 lber has of not getting hurt? But yeah if the girl accepts that most of the pain will come later in life then go for it!

As long as she doesn't expect any special attention, I'm cool with it. If she doesn't make the team she has to except that it's because she's not fit for it, not because she's female. If she gets hit and breaks her whatever, she has to realize it's because it's a contact sport, not that people were trying to hit her harder because she's a girl.

The biggest thing that worries me about a girl playing football with men is one of the following things will happen-

A) A guy decides to hold back and misses the tackle on a big play. The girl runs for a touchdown and the guy loses his dreams of a scholarship.

B) A guy decides to not hold back and kills her.

• .

As long as a girl knows what she's getting in to, she should be allowed. If she's good enough I'm sure she'll play. However I don't think that it should be officially co-ed.

• Lula

I thought you were talking about games like the Lingerie Bowl. Anyway, why would a woman play in an all man sport? It's not sexism, it's just the way the game is.

I have nothing against it. However, I don't think it would be a good Idea to put chicks out there with those 300 lbs guys. Even if they are a punter/kicker. They still do get hit. And guys would feel guilty hitting them, so they'd never get their punts/kicks blocked as often as others.

it's normal.

however, it should not be co-ed. I'm not being sexist but the truth remains that males are built naturally more physically capable

I'm a girl

Anybody can play football when they want. no matter what gender they are. Just most men these days are sexist to all female footballers (experienced)

• DK439

I would love to play