Fathers rights out of state FL/WI?

Im not sure what to do so Im hoping you guys can give me a little advice. I moved to florida to go to school and met a girl. The same day she found out she was pregnant, i found out i had 3 out of state warrents so i had to go back to wisconsin. All of that is taken care of and dropped. So I leased a condo, flew down to FL and packed up everything she had, and drove back to WI (this was before my daughter was born. She hasnt worked a full time job in years. shes 24, im 21. One day she decided she hated the snow and drove home. Gave me like 45 minutes notice. We went to court, i pay 310 a month for child support. My daughter is 14 months. Ive met her 3 times. Her mom now is engaged, moved to north carolina and works part time. ive payed for EVERYTHING twice for her to come here for a weekend to see my daughter. I keep asking if i can see her again, if i can fly there or she can come here and every time she says she cant get off work but i can go there and see her. every time i ask (month or so in advance) she says she cant get off work. Ive even tried 6 months in advance and she said she still cant get off work. My child support order is thru florida. she lives in NC. Is that legal? Do the courts need to know that? And is there anyway I would beable to get my daughter 50/50 or atleast one weekend a month to start? please let me know if anyone has any experience with this or knows where i should start to pursue visitation rights or partial custody. Florida or wisconsin or north carolina?

2 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer
    Source(s): For 22 years, I have volunteered my time working with divorced/single fathers dealing in family law issues, such as child support, teaching them about what the states are not telling support obligors. ♂♀
  • Ti
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    The state in which the child has lived for the last 6 months has jurisdiction over child support/custody issues, so you would need to file in North Carolina. North Carolina has to honor the original Florida order.

    Why can't you fly, drive, or even take the Greyhound down to North Carolina to see your daughter? Don't listen to her excuses. Just show up. If she refuses, call the cops. Show the cops your visitation order. Your ex would have to comply, or she might end up in jail on contempt of court charges.

    You could petition the courts in North Carolina for a modification of your visitation order. Be prepared to pay your own travel expenses, though.

    Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.