Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 years ago

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut?

How is the novel's theme (free will/fate) enhanced by the manipulated narrative style (disorganized plot, narrator being a part of the story, preface as the first chapter)?

I know everything there is know from reading spark notes, the book, and every other on-line tool. Now, I need some in-depth analysis into the book. I wrote my essay, but it is terribly choppy. Now I need some points of view to fill the awkward structure..

Thanks. :)

Favorite Answer

Hi Lola,

Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., was written as a general statement against all wars. Vonnegut focuses on the shock and outrage over the havoc and destruction man is capable of wreaking in the name of what he labels a worthy cause, while learning to understand and accept these horrors and one's feelings about them. Through his character, Billy Pilgrim, he conveys not only these feelings and emotions, but also the message that we must exercise our free will to alter the unfortunate happenings that might occur in our lives.

Vonnegut had tremendous difficulty writing this novel. He says, "I thought it would be easy for me to write about the destruction of Dresden, since all I would have to do would be to report what I had seen" (Vonnegut 2). He did not count on his emotions interfering with his attempts at a factual and logical report of such atrocities. It took Vonnegut twenty years to directly face his private demon of the firebombing of Dresden in the form of this novel. Read more here:

http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Slaughterhouse-Five...