advice buying a car from toyota dealer?

my mum has just payed a deposit of £500 on a rav 4 at a toyota dealer. The car has 2000 miles on the clock and the total price is £24000.00. I have checked on the 'what car' web site and the target price on this car new is £21980.00. could anyone explain why the dealer is selling a used car for more than a new one. should my mum go through with this deal? thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If she's paid the deposit then she's probably snookered, as it's a legally binding contract.

This just illustrates why people shouldn't make spur of the moment decisions at car dealers, always go and do some research re prices, best cars, good finance deals etc.

• Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

£21980 is NOT the new price, that is what they say, the 'TARGET' price that you may be able to get a dealer to come down to! (there is absolutely no guarantee that you will find such an obliging dealer in your area though) Plus as others say, the new price of any new car depends upon what options are specified. Buy something like a 5 series BMW and you can knock up another 10 grand and more in options very easily.

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Phone the dealer and ask if they will match that price or you will pull out as losing the deposit will still make the other car cheaper.

• 9 years ago

On 'what car' it shows you the regular range, the one that your mum is buying could have loads of extras and features in it e.g. parking sensors, satnav, e.t.c. And there are different types of car, i,e, 'what car' could be saying a 3 litre model should be bought for £21980, while the one your mum is buying could be a 3.5litre model for instance. Hope this helps :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If she can back out then she should. the dealer's job is to make as much money from the sale as possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.