Honda CRV - Manual or Auto?

Hi, I am looking to buy a used CRV around 2004 and I am unsure about manual vs auto.

I've had lots of cars. One of the last ones was an auto 300tdi discovery. I found the auto slow and not as controllable in the snow and ice.

I know there will be different views but what are opinions on auto vs manual in terms of driving ( especially in winter ), maintenance and problems

thanks

How come people think the CRV is so boring .. yes its not got maybe the style that some 4x4's have but I am after reliability which as far as I know the CRV has in bucket loads..

If there any other BIG boot 4x4's under £5k that people say are just as reliable I am willing to listen

• ID88
    Favorite Answer

A used Honda CRV with the VTEC engine is and still a very good buy.

But an Auto transmission has a better resale value.

Its up to you.....but I'll go for an Auto anytime....

Short Answer: Manual

Advantages of a manual: CRV's are incredibly boring, and a manual will help that. A LOT.

Also, as you pointed out, autos are slow... with an engine set up like the CRV, which doesn't have a lot of power in relation to it's weight, a manual will help you keep the revs where they need to be for maximum power extraction. I would hope you'd get a 4WD CRV, so winter driving won't be too difficult either way.

Advantages of an automatic: You don't have to worry about a clutch, or shifting in traffic.

If you commute through traffic a lot, a manual's clutch will go pretty quickly. This may be an acceptable expense, and if so, great! Get the manual. But if it's a concern, you might want to consider the auto because no matter how you drive a manual, enough traffic will tear up the clutch.

Also, shifting a manual through traffic can be a real pain. Driving that automatic through slow and go traffic could make you glad to have it, despite performance compromises.

Either way, a CRV is a boring car that will not leave you a happy buyer.

The reason I bought a new Civic with a manual transmission is because the CRV is only available with an automatic transmission in Canada. I always prefer to drive a standard shift vehicle.

Personally I prefer manual.

You have more control with manual, apart from gear selection you also get more engine braking.

Auto gearboxes are more likely to go wrong & more expensive to repair when they do.

I'm not sure about more modern automatics but they used to use more fuel as well. Check out the fuel consumption figures.

Manual every time. The manual version will be cheaper, faster, more economical, easier to control in poor conditions and far less expensive to fix if it goes wrong.

Doubtless all the Yanks will disagree.....

Auto's are useless unless your car makes at least 200nm of torque. I would hesitate to recommend someone buy a car with an auto transmission unless it had a 6cylinder engine or they had some sort of disability.

Manual definitely!

If anything goes wrong with the Automatic, It's more expensive to repair..

It really depends on your personal preferences but for me, all my vehicles have been stick-shifts simply because they are more fun. Added benefits of manuals are better fuel economy (although that is slowly changing in favour of the automatic), lighter weight, less complex, less maintenance, more control of vehicle (especially beneficial during winter driving).

You have more control with a manual