Honda CRV - Manual or Auto?

Hi, I am looking to buy a used CRV around 2004 and I am unsure about manual vs auto. I've had lots of cars. One of the last ones was an auto 300tdi discovery. I found the auto slow and not as controllable in the snow and ice. I know there will be different views but what are opinions on auto vs manual in... show more Hi, I am looking to buy a used CRV around 2004 and I am unsure about manual vs auto.

I've had lots of cars. One of the last ones was an auto 300tdi discovery. I found the auto slow and not as controllable in the snow and ice.

I know there will be different views but what are opinions on auto vs manual in terms of driving ( especially in winter ), maintenance and problems

thanks
Update: How come people think the CRV is so boring .. yes its not got maybe the style that some 4x4's have but I am after reliability which as far as I know the CRV has in bucket loads..

If there any other BIG boot 4x4's under £5k that people say are just as reliable I am willing to listen