Does it seem to you that americans are more prudish in everyday life than brits?

not just sexual, or not talking about sexual things. seems americans are more prude to me. they really watch what they say and many are offended easily with jokes etc what brits would think of as funny.

am i the only one noticing this?

• jimbo
    Best Answer

As an American, I feel qualified to answer this question. Yes we are. We make countless films about murder and killing and really horrible things, and thats Okay, but just let a celebrity show a bit of tit and the whole country wants her staked out on an ant hill, remember the Jackson girl, well her career has not rebounded from the little bit of tit that she accidentally showed at the ball game a few years ago. Look at Tiger Wood, what the hell has it got to do with you or me that he was getting some on the side, but just look at the way he had to humiliate himself to the public with his begging for forgiveness. Our egos are so small that we dont do jokes about each other like you Brits do, that would only either lead to a law suit or worse.I remember a TV ad we had here in the states back in the late seventies -eighties were the guys come on saying "thats a soma spicy meataball" you know ,with an Italian accent, well the complaints nearly put the company out of business and the TV companies lost other advertising because they showed it. I just cant imagine what they would do if they saw that ad I notice when I was over a few months ago, was it Del Mio ? Look, we do blood and gore, but we dont do sex, even now in this day and age Benny Hill is banned in some of our states, we certainly dont do jokes about each other or the courts and morgues will be filled in a month. But we can fill our churches on Sundays.

I think maybe the word you're looking for is uptight; there are a lot of double standards too, most which other answers in this thread mention. One of the double standards that bothers me most is the objectification of women that I believe is rampant in American society (and yes, I'm American, so I have firsthand experience with this). For example, it's perfectly all right to have Hooters girls, or even just your typical university coed walking around with everything hanging out, but if God forbid I breastfeed my baby in public (I have two small children, another on the way), people stare at me like I'm some kind of sexually subversive creature. I even use a cover!!! I'm just feeding my hungry screaming baby, not trying to flash anyone. There are functional and sexual aspects of a woman's body, and they're quite separate aspects, which don't occur to a lot of small-minded people in the States. And oh my, if a woman ever sunbathed topless here, she'd probably be thumped with several Bibles.

And yes, while things like humor are very individual, I agree that Americans feel like they have to be careful about what they say for fear of offending someone, which can easily happen in Britain too. From what I personally experienced visiting England and Scotland, the joking did sound like some of the people I met were insulting me, and perhaps some were. But overall, since a dear English friend and I will often "take the piss" out of each other, I think that's just the way some British people joke, and I learned not to take it personally. I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but that was my experience.

Well it depends who you meet. To me, some people really just don't like talking cause they may be shy or uptight to certain jokes. Most Americans worry about what others think about them, sadly, but that is mainly due to the media. There could also be a bit of a cultural difference in our humor too.

Source(s): American:)

depends on the individual. Many Americans are easily offended, but so are many Brits.

• Owenc

Yes i agree they don't seem to have the same sense of humour as us and they get offended quite alot i think that they need to lighten up a bit. Also they are a bit ignorant of us i would recommend that they would learn about other cultures instead of being cocky and saying that they are the best. It gets tiring when they ask us if we sit eating tea and crumpets all day.

• TSK

Yes ! They are odd. They have some of THE worst porn, in the world, but all get all hot under the collar when a bunch of Europeans happen to walk around naked on a beach. They are strange!

That is a pretty HUGE generalization. It depends greatly on the individual.

yes, and they say we are the prudes - then they cant take a joke - hypocrites