Does a modular home qualify for a Rural Development loan?

I can't seem to get a straight answer- how do I know if the property I'm looking at will qualify for the Rural Development financing I'm using? I've heard everything from 'make sure it has a deed, not a title' to 'crawl under the house and look at the foundation'. Ok, so I crawl... show more I can't seem to get a straight answer- how do I know if the property I'm looking at will qualify for the Rural Development financing I'm using? I've heard everything from 'make sure it has a deed, not a title' to 'crawl under the house and look at the foundation'. Ok, so I crawl under the house. What am I supposed to be looking for? I need some answers. I've been researching all over the internet and I can't figure it out. The real estate agent I'm working with doesn't even know. My mortgage lender was really vague about it, too. And in my area, MOST of the houses are modular. This is really frustrating and it may put a serious limit on my options. Do I have to just wait for the inspection? And for that matter, who pays for the inspection and at what point does the inspection occur? I don't want to shell out the cash for inspections on houses just to have them tell me right out of the gate that it doesn't qualify for financing. ANY advice would be much appreciated.
4 answers 4