Microeconomics help. How many pounds of potatoes can she buy?

Potatoes cost Janice $1.25 per pound, and she has $5.00 that she could possibly spend on potatoes or other items. If she feels that the first pound of potatoes is worth $1.50, the second pound is worth $1.14, the third pound is worth $1.05, and all subsequent pounds are worth $0.30, how many pounds of potatoes will... show more Potatoes cost Janice $1.25 per pound, and she has $5.00 that she could possibly spend on potatoes or other items. If she feels that the first pound of potatoes is worth $1.50, the second pound is worth $1.14, the third pound is worth $1.05, and all subsequent pounds are worth $0.30, how many pounds of potatoes will she purchase? What if she only had $3.00 to spend?

Janice will purchase_____ pound(s) of potatoes with the initial income.
Janice will purchase pound(s) of potatoes with the second income.

I tried adding $1.50+1.14+1.05+.30+.30....until I found that she can buy 7 pounds.
And for the $3.00 I did the same thing and found she can buy 2 pounds.

My answers were wrong. I'm not understanding how to work the problem. If a pound of potatoes cost 1.25, then why would the other points cost $1.50, $1.14...etc? I'm just confused.

Any help you be appreciated.
2 answers