does this nanny job sound like a scam?

so i recently applyed to a babysitting job on sittercity.com and she hired me without talking over the phone or personal interview....she asked me a few questions through email but that was it...and also offered to send me an upfront payment (which would be 600 a week from the hours and days she required on last emails) without knowing me after i told her i did not feel comfortable sending my address i never got a reply. does this sound like a sob story

Hello Dear,

I will like to first of all say thank you for the letting me view your photos, they are very nice and also the time you have stated will work fine with us and am most delighted and also am happy to say congratulations to you as i did have a long discussion with my husband a while ago over the issues and we did review a few applications together but we figured we should let you have the position as you seem nice and very sincere and also i wish to inform you that you will be starting this job as soon as we get back from England next week.

So am happy to say congratulations to you and welcome to our family. We decided to let you have position so we all look forward to having you join our family as soon as we are back home. Am sure our kids will love having you around them as you appear to be a vibrant and enlightened person. As there happens to be a limited time at this time i wish to inform you that we concluded on getting to you your first one week pay upfront so you can get yourself prepared starting your new position with us, hence, letting you not have any troubles finance wise or any hindrances starting your new position. I want you to know that you have to be of good behaviors and also very much upright and never to let this opportunity become a pain for us as we do intend to give you our best support as family and we need same support from you as well.

At this point i will need you to forward all your details in regards to mailing address (es) and also what your total weekly charge will be so my husband can ask his assistant to handle all that on our behalf before he leaves for his trip. I will forward you our flight reservations as soon as we make all plans this next week. Kindly get me your name payment should go in and where it should be mailed to and i will keep you posted if any matters arises.

Congratulations once more and we all look forward to having you come into our family.

Thank you and God bless.

after this i said i was not comfortable sending my address hopefully it was understandable, and mi never got a reply back can someone please help me because if it is a scam im freaking out i sent them pics of myself that they asked for

Update:

name susan polhlopeks

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "FBI@ gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement official can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:

1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.

2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.

3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.

4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.

5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.

6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "money mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Take Surveys Get Money : http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?zwuz
  • 9 years ago

SCAM

First of all NOBODY hires a stranger over the internet to watch their child. If you have not met them in person, they are not legit

Second, you NEVER give your home address to anyone you have never met for any reason. EVER. Not only are there scams like this, but perverts post fake nanny/babysitting jobs all the time knowing that it's usually teen/early 20s women who respond to these and by posting your address you are setting yourself up to be kidnapped or worse

Third, NOBODY would go into that much detail in an email. If they were legit, they would say "We are back next week and would like to interview you on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Fourth, NOBODY pays a babysitter/nanny before they start

Write back to say that you will not accept any job until you can actually meet them and their child. Say that they can email you when they are back from England and you'll have your parents take you to their house for an interview. If they do not agree, they are scammers

And you never send pictures to anyone - it's against the law for an employer in the US to ask to see photos of you. That's discrimination

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

TOTAL SCAM! 1. The writer's style is not American English, but UK English. And he's not a native English speaker which of course he would be if he was from Brooklyn. 2. Nobody in the US or UK would name their kid "Marx." 3. And the biggest: He's proposing to overpay you by check and for you to forward the funds on to someone else via an untraceable means. By the time that the bogus check bounces at your bank, you will have forever lost the money that you forwarded on to the unknown 3rd party. YOU will have to make good on the bad check with your bank though. Do NOT engage in ANY further correspondence with this scam artist.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

anyone that offers money upfront is a SCAM.. that can be seen a million miles aways. You take the check cash it and you will be the one ending up paying fees and such. This happens all of the time in the world of getting a nanny job.

• 9 years ago

IT IS A SCAM. The same email with slight changes has been posted before. They will send you EXTRA money for some purpose. Maybe toys or books. They will ask you to wire the money to the company that will deliver the items. The money goes to the scammer. Their check bounces in a month.

ʎəɿʞɹɐq  ̊ ͜͡● ̊

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Ive found from previous expierence, when someone writes a hudge amount of words, and then types, "Thankyou and god bless." Is a scammer. They use Jesus in a way that most Americans are known to be Christian, So they use it as a leure. Sorry, but its fake!

• 4 years ago

Online Surveys For Cash - http://OnlineSurveys.uzaev.com/?lqEo

• 7 years ago

The graphology on this letter is the same as three others I have found so far.

• Lyn G
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes, Erica, it looks and sounds like a scam.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.