can i recieve both ssi and ssd?

I am receiving a payment of $735 for ssi and I would like to know if i can receive ssd for my mental disorder?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

When a person goes into the Social Security office to file a claim, the claims rep checks to see if the person would be entitled to Social Security (SSDI) and/or SSI. If they have worked long enough and paid into the Social Security program through their wages, then they take a Social Security disability claim. If the SSDI benefit would be a low one (under $694) then an SSI claim is also taken. If a person doesn't have enough work credits for SSDI then only an SSI claim is taken.

If you had been eligible for SSD when you filed your application, Social Security would have taken an SSD claim from you. Since they didn't that means that you didn't have enough work credits. If you've worked since you've been receiving SSI, you could check with Social Security to see if you now have enough work credits for SSD.

SSI does a yearly review (or they're supposed to) called a redetermination to check to see if your income, resources and living arrangements have changed. When they do that yearly review they also review your work record to see if you've become insured under the Social Security system since you became entitled to SSI. And if you have they would refer you to a Social Security claims rep to take a claim.

Source(s): I was a Social Security claims rep for 32 years.

No, SSI is a welfare program, Since you did not work enough to get credits for SSD, Otherwise you would just get SSD, I was under the impression SSI pays up to $675, Plus Food Stamps, And Medicaid. You don't get both. Why don't you seek professional help with your mental disorder and find a job,

• Jan

You cannot collect SSDI unless you worked and paid into SS for at least 10 years. Since you are receiving SSI, I assume that isn't the case.

• Kini

If your SSDI benefit is 400% below the poverty line, you may qualify for SSI to bring it up to poverty level.