Why are guild guitars so expensive?

Are they really good guitars? Is the price justified?

Favorite Answer

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they have a good reputation. Their prices really aren't that high... a top-notch instrument can easily go for several thousand dollars. I once played a $8,500 Audirac guitar, and YES, it did sound $8,500 good. That's the most expensive instrument I've ever played, but they get more pricey (and finer quality).

There ARE companies where you pay for a name. Gibson is notorious for this. Some of their limited run Les Paul models fetch $10,000+, but those never end up in the hands of professionals (mainly because they aren't worth more than $3k)... rich businessmen buy those and play them in crappy office bands.

I guess the point to all that is that you're probably just used to the cheap prices of mass manufactured instruments.

Guitarists are lucky actually... it's not uncommon for professional orchestral musicians to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their instruments.

Lots of guitars are expensive, not just Guilds. However, it also depends on if you are referring to a vintage guild from years ago or new ones. Both types (new and old) can be pricey or not depending on the model, however it was built, and it's features.

They are good guitars! I have a Guild from the early '60's that my grandpa gave me and it sounds awesome!