Flute and piano duet compositions?

I need a beautiful flute and piano duet, but not the kind where only flute has the leading melody and piano is just accompaniment. I need a flute piano duet where piano also has significant and equally important role just as flute. :) Thanks. :)

We play the music. :)

Best Answer

My husband and I are just such a duo - for over 40 years now. Tell me more - so do you seek music to play, or recorded music?

Added - Funny that someone mentioned it - we are playing the Poulenc (for the zillionth time . . ) in a concert in 2 weeks. You might like the Prokofiev Sonatas, if you like his piano works; the Taktakishvili is really good and fun; the Bloch Suite Modale; the Bolling Jazz Suites -and if you like that idiom, but more so - anything by Mike Mower; Copland Duo; Hindemith Sonata; Griffes Poem; there is a Gieseking Sonatina, but frankly a lot of work for not much *music* - same with the Carl Witt pieces - gorgeous on first hearing - then you realize you are knocking yourself out for not a whole lot of *meat*; some nice things by Gaubert; You know, I could keep this up ALL DAY AND NIGHT - but what you really need is a good listing. The old Pellertie book used to have short descriptions of works, like the Hinson does for piano - you can also go to www.nfaonline.org and order the booklet that is the graded guide to flute literature - there is NO BETTER source than this.

If later tonight I wish to continue the flute literature version of emptying the ocean with a teaspoon, I will list more - but we enjoy these, and also seek works of equal musical responsibility I do not think that you want to play continuo parts, nor do you want to play concerto reductions (Mozart, Chaminade, and thousands more). You can also browse a ton at http://www.4shared.com/dir/14152364/42577d84/Publi... It's all free and legal - just old. A lot like me . . . .

Good luck!

Added - but wait - there's MORE - send $19.95 before midnight tonight . .

Liebermann, Lowell Sonata

Muczynski, Robert Sonata

Piston, Walter Sonata

Poulenc, Francis Sonata 1991 AND1958)

Prokofieff, Sergei Sonata - two editions

Reinecke, Carl Undine Sonata

Roussel, Albert Jouers de Flute

Schocker, Gary Xynoglyko (I do not like any of his stuff - but other people do . . . why???

Taktakishvili, Otar Sonata

Widor, Charles Suite Op.34

Again - this could go on forever - but you have a good start. The 4shared site is a treasure of public-domain things - as there are two good CD-ROMS you can get - www.cdsheetmusic.com, and another from www.clarinetinstitute.com. They have quite a bit of overlap - but for the prices, you are gonna get a TON of chamber music literature, too. Have friends over - eat/drink/play - lots of fun.

Source(s): Professional flutist and certified, multi-degreed teacher and competition judge (NYSSMA All-State woodwinds, piano, voice) in NY since 1973. Chamber music business in NY since 1984.
  • criner

Piano Flute Duet

Ah, so much music yet so little time! I would first defer to the other learned answers and add only

a few humble suggestions that may be of some interest and expand your adventure as well.

The classic "Over the Rainbow" is really good but for a selection I would suggest you go to IMSLP.org and plug in those instruments into the search function or just look around in each composer. You may also wish to google up the "Lester S. Levy Collection" of the Sheridan Librairies at John Hopkins University and look up "The Wood Thrush Song" by Crochet and ONeal

and I think that may be of interest(flute would play the top staff on that one...)

Also--Ave Maria by Schubert is terrrific too- --use the Friedlander arrangement found at IMSLP.

Also you may wish to join up and ask this question at yahoo groups Fluteadvice or flutenet.

"White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane and "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin are also good and the lower treble staff can be rearranged a bit --especially in Stairway to effect more piano stuff.

Failing anything else--I just know that you will be amazed with those two sites if you do not know them already.

All the best

Irvin

Toronto

• Robert

The famous Poulenc Flute Sonata would be a good choice, among many good choices.

I have played the Poulenc Oboe Sonata and know that my accompanist found the part to be incredibly beautiful and independent. I've heard his complete flute sonata and it's similar in nature.

On a further note, as someone who started off as a flautist the book "Our Song Shall Rise to Thee" by Carol Foss was, and still is, my go-to book if I need a quick flute solo in a church setting--those arrangements also have piano accompaniments that carry the melody for long stretches, and are quite beautiful, if simple.

Try the Bach flute sonatas.

Bach is the most contrapuntal composer,

which means that Bach wrote the most significant keyboard accompaniments.

I think it sounds quite sweet so go for it :) .... I think you should upload a link to a recording for us to listen to :)