Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens Β· 9 years ago

Seniors, do you think variety shows could make a comeback?

I know they tried last year with Jay Leno, but maybe he wasn't the right host. Who could host a good variety show right now and make it work?

• blu
    Favorite Answer

Yes

I think Ellen Degeneres could expand her portfolio to include variety show host.

I didn't see the Leno show, and haven't really seen any TV at all in about twenty years so I'm not sure what is meant by "variety show." What it means to me is something like Ed Sullivan, where you would get a lot of miniature poodles jumping through rhinestone-studded hoops, a guy playing the accordion while swaying back and forth on a bongo board, a lady in a sparkling bathing suit and opera hose and high heels with a spinning dinner plate balanced on the end of a billiard cue balanced on the end of her nose, a lot of chimpanzees and unicycles, and of course Topo Gigio the Little Italian Mouse.

I don't think I'd have an appetite for that kind of entertainment anymore. If I ever had any to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05ac2DSpEY

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=fvsr

• Holly

I would like to see a good variety show during the daytime. These talk shows are so blah and the co-hosts so self-serving. The doctor shows have all been repeated and by now are way overdone. Dr. Phil has turned into the "Jerry Springer Show" and on off-days, he just has his family onstage for a "heart-warming" birthday party or some other family stuff that only they think we want to celebrate.

Yes, a nice variety show would be grand! Something like Ed Sullivan's show would be a treat.

• Jay Leno is late at night for one thing.

If you are thinking of a show like Carol Burnett show YEAH!!

If we can get a variety show for older people and not for the teens etc it would be great..

But the only thing is that I cannot think of anybody to host one and be in the skits,unless maybe Dan Aykroyd or Jane Curtin or Jim Belushi..or even Jon Stewart..LOL..nice thought but a good one..=)

Those kinds of entertainers do not exist any more, puppets, jugglers, comedy sketches, slapstick comedians. You still had Borscht Belt entertainers on TV then. It was not as polished but it was more imaginative. I dont think in today's fast edited digital imaging, they would be a draw for young people. What was humorous and amusing in the 1950s does not appeal to a mass audience. Shows often had one sponsor like Chevrolet or Gillette for an entire program and now you have a slickly produced ad every few minutes because the regulations have changed and advertisers are very aggressive.

• Dinah

I found Drew Carey easy to watch, on Who's Line Is It. He never got rattled, and had a smoothness about his manner. Yes, I think you're right on the money that we need a variety show again. What I would look most forward to would be the current, well-known comedians doing stand-ups. People like Elayne Boosler, Steven Wright, and so forth. And children performing, trying to make it, being discovered. And solo musical instrument performers, especially the violin and cello. It would be great.

• ?

Variety with a difference might be popular?

We could have alternating hosts, between the Prime Minister of Britain, and the President of the United States. They could interview a different crook... I mean politician every week. and question the sodalitious twit about how he fiddles his expenses, takes bribes, is nepotistic, etc.

Sorry I waffled a bit again.

Yes! I have been thinking that for some time now! Good shows like Carol Burnett, Laugh In, Ed Sullivan and the like. =)

There is never anything to watch on TV now. I wish they would bring back shows like Carol Burnett, WKRP, or anything worth watching besides Wipe Out. These new shows are not worth their salt.

Source(s): Me.

Yes