I have a Trinity question...?

How do we know if the Holy Spirit is the 'Comforter' that Jesus spoke of in verses like John 14:16?

And why isn't the Holy Ghost formally mentioned as such in the Old Testament?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

1) How do we know if the Holy Spirit is the 'Comforter' that Jesus spoke of in verses like John 14:16?

http://classic.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=co...

2) And why isn't the Holy Ghost formally mentioned as such in the Old Testament?

The translators of the King James Version (KJV) Old Testament used the word "spirit" rather than "ghost". For some reason, the translators of the KJV New Testament used "ghost" rather than "spirit". As far as I know, the words underlying these translations are synonymous - that is, the Hebrew word translated "spirit" also means "ghost", and the Greek word translated "ghost" also means "spirit" (and of course "spirit" and "ghost" are synonymous in English).

http://www.studylight.org/lex/heb/view.cgi?number=...

http://www.studylight.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=...

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

The 15th century New Testament translators used "ghost" for πνεῦμα (pneuma) when working on the scriptures. This word can also be translated as Spirit as most modern translations do today and does not mean a separate entity than the Holy Ghost, ghost and spirit are interchangeable. The Hebrew equivalent for this word is ר֫וּחַ (ruach) and they both mean 'breath, wind, spirit'. The Holy Spirit is referenced many times in the Old Testament (Ps. 51:11, Is. 63:10,

We know that the Holy Spirit is synonymous with the Comforter because Jesus continued to speak about this person in length giving distinct descriptions of his services.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Q. - Why isn't the Holy Ghost formally mentioned as such in the Old Testament?

A. - Because Judaism and Christianity are two different religions.

Scripture says every believer is sealed with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14, 2 Corinthians 1:21-22). To feel His presence one need only abide in the Lord.

And the Holy Spirit was front and center right from the beginning ...

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:12)

When King David sinned by having sex with the married woman Bathsheba he prayed to the Lord: Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (Psalm 51:10-12)

These are just two examples. There are many, usually revealed in the context of "the Spirit of the LORD" or the "power of the Spirit".

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Genesis 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Source(s): Bible
  • Amy

The Holy Spirit couldn't have been mentioned in the Old Testament because it didn't appear until after Jesus' death. It comes to the apostles at the beginning of the book of Acts.

• Y

If we read the detail and the context we will see that the comforter is probably best match the the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Because, how could Jesus claim that if I do not go then the comforter will not come, when he was meant to be with him in the first place.

See Ahmed Deedats videos on youtube for a full explanation

We don't know, not without placing within the hermeneutic of the existence of the Trinity. If you are inclined to be a Trinitarian (which I am), it works nicely with that doctrine. My thoughts on your second question would be that the doctrine of the Trinity was not developed until after Jesus. Since the OT is pre-Christ, there's just God, God's creative spirit (ruah), the covenants made between God and man, and the prophecy of a Messiah.

John 14:26

But the Comforter which is the Holy Ghost whom the Father will send in my name he shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance whatsoever I have said unto you

Therefore Comforter = Holy Spirit

The holy spirit is not a unique person akin to God.

God gives a spirit of holiness (holy spirit) to each of those who believe in God.

In the Bible, the word spirit is used to represent a characteristic.

for ex. spirit of truth, spirit of infirmity, etc.

The pronoun used for holy spirit in the original Greek bible is afto meaning 'IT';

therefore holy spirit is impersonal.

Holy spirit was personified in the above verse as Helper and is hence given a masculine singular pronoun.

• ?

The Holy Spirit was given many titles: Paraclete, Comforter, etc.

We recognize these by his actions in our experience.

Holy Ghost was a poor translation in the KJV Bible.