promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

So, am I right when say that all of the stars visible in the night sky are exclusively Milky Way stars?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The only stars visible in other galaxies are those that have gone supernova. So generally speaking, you are absolutely correct.

<EDIT> Somehow, I don't think people are getting your question. You ARE asking if the only STARS that are visible are in our galaxy and not part of SOME OTHER galaxy...and not asking if everything you see in the night sky is a star? Because FOR SURE every STAR you see is within the Milky Way galaxy (unless, as I said it is a supernova in another galaxy).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • GeoffG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes. There are several galaxies visible to the naked eye, but they are obviously diffuse objects and would never be mistaken for stars.

• cosmo
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

All stars that are perceived as individual stars by the naked eye are not only in the Milky Way galaxy, but are in our local solar neighborhood within the Milky Way.

Except for supernovae, it takes a 3 meter telescope to resolve individual stars in nearby galaxies.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You are INCORRECT, because the Andromeda i (M31) galaxy IS VISIBLE to the naked eye as a slightly fuzzy star to the north of the star in the northwest corner of the "square" asterism of Pegasus constellation RIGHT NOW in the CDT time zone. The wild fires in Oklahoma county are affecting visibility and clarity to the south more than 30 to 50 miles away. The NBC Nightly News was preempted by local coverage for the second day in a row.

Source(s): 55 years and counting of obseving experience, AND personal obsevation TWO HOURS ago in Slaughterville, OK
    • Yves6 years agoReport

oklatonola, you have not understood the question. And please learn to no capitalize words all the time, as it is perceived as dumb.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DaM
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

what cosmo said. If you're talking about naked eye or binocular viewing, then you cannot see individual stars from outside of our galaxy.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Wow, Daryl S! I can't believe sum people r so dumb they still talkin about galaxies n stuff they can see. LOL!!! You rite though. U can't see stars in other galaxies except ours. and I dont have 55 years of experiecne! LOL! LOL!

• 9 years ago

No. We can see objects that are not part of the Milky Way. We can see other galaxies.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. Some belong to other galaxies such as the large and small

Magellenic Clouds.

• Mark
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

No. Listen to Oklatonola.

• 9 years ago

You are not right. Some points of light are from beyond our Milky Way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.