do you think i have a Chance at The United States Military Academy(west point)?

Im about to go to high school and i more then any thing want to go to USMA and serve my country.Ok well here's a little of my family history,I have 2 grate uncles who were in the army and served in D Day and another grate uncle who served in the navy,And both my grad fathers were in the military one marine corp and the other air force,My father was in the army 27 years,And both one of my brothers and one of my sisters were in the army(could my family military history help my chances).Ok any ways i joined the naval sea cadet corp this summer and in high school ill be taking Jrotc(air force).Then in the summer after freshmen year ill be going a a NSCC encampment and ill be going to one the next summer im not all that into sports but im Very active and in Very good shape well for my age any ways.i was thinking about starting to apply in my junior year(but when do you think i should start applying).and in my junior year summer ill be going to there week long summer program and if i have time before or after that ill be going to another encampment.I also volunteer at the VA hospital.And i make A and Bs and occasionally a C but i still have a bit left in 8th grade and im really stepping up and studying and every thing.Do you think i have a pretty good chance even though im not into any sports.(SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG)

Update:

Ok well im so sorry im 13 and rushed through this and didn't even think about the word GREAT

Update 2:

i participate in stuff just i don't like sports im the the naval sea cadet corp im about to be in jrotc im in band and like i said i volunteer at the VA hospital and i plan on becoming a officer in both the NSCC and Jrotc so with saying that do these things help and do i have to do sports and if i do which ones do you recommend i just don't want to spend all my time doing sports when i need to prepare for the military and study and all of that so ya any ways thank you

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are not planning to be involved in sports in high school, then you have a significantly reduced chance of attaining an appointment to West Point or any service academy. For the West Point Class of 2014, ninety percent of candidates successful in earning an appointment participated in varsity athletics with around eighty five percent earning at least one varsity letter and around sixty percent having been team captains. At Usafa typically about 23% of Cadets are recruited athletes; at Usna around 33% of each freshman class are members of varsity athletic teams and most were recruited athletes. West Point lies somewhere in between.

http://i56.tinypic.com/153s8b7.gif

Find sports you enjoy now and stick with them through high school. Freshman year extracurricular activities are not given a lot of weight since for some candidates 9th grade is not high school. The Instructions to the Air Force Academy Pre-Candidate Questionnaire clearly state that freshman year extracurricular activities are not considered, so this is the time to find sports that you will pursue through high school. It is hard to recommend a specific sport without knowing what you enjoy or body type etc In general the service academies like to see involvement in at least one vigorous, competitive team sport like football, lacrosse, basketball, water polo. Strenuous individual sports are also recommended such as wrestling or swimming. It really comes down to the sports a student enjoys and also has the body type for and can get to the level to be able to compete given the level of competition in the leagues his school competes in.

Listen to Colonel Batchelder's profile of a competitive SLS applicant from 1:20 to 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRWc9GiSMCA

Youtube thumbnail

http://paulryan.house.gov/UploadedFiles/USMA_2014....

Doing Jrotc and Sea Cadets is probably not the best use of the limited resource time since they are essentially considered the same activity by the service academies. Neither is required and only a limited segment of appointed candidates have participated in either. Athletic participation is practically universal to all appointed candidates and will be required at West Point at some level-varsity, club or intramural and this is in addition to Physical Education.

The selection process is nearly identical at West Point, the Naval Academy, and the Air Force Academy, so, whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions, course selection etc generally holds for the others. If you read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

Prepping for a service academy is no different than prepping for any highly selective university other than having any issues related to drug use, underage alcohol consumption, speeding tickets etc would be disqualifying. The Air Force Academy website offers outstanding advice to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box. Be sure to open the "Leadership Preparation" link and read it carefully."

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

Page 19 of Chapter 2 of the Naval Academy Catalog indicates classes to take to make oneself competitive for admission. The classes are arranged in a hierarchy:

http://www.usna.edu/Catalog/

Prep for the Psat during the summer after completing Algebra 1 and Geometry. The Psat is only offered once each fall. The Psat Math tests Algebra 1 and Geometry; the Sat adds Algebra 2; the Act adds Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. The Sat should be taken the first time in the Spring of the year taking Algebra 2. Extracurricular reading, looking up unknown words in a dictionary will help with Cr scores:

http://reading.berkeley.edu/

You will need scores from one of these exams to apply for the Air Force Academy Summer Seminar when it opens for applications from HS Juniors on Dec 1(accepts 1125.) West Point SLS in mid December(accepts 1,000) and Usna Summer Seminar on Feb 1(accepts 2250), Coast Guard AIM in February, and Sat or Act scores are also needed to apply for Rotc, Afrotc and Nrotc Scholarships when they open for applications from high school juniors in the Spring of 2012.

For colleges that require them, schedule Sat Subject exams to coincide with the AP or Final Exam in the course. Suggest joining NHS, as membership is considered leadership by all the service academies and about 2/3 of each Usafa, Usma and Usna class have been members.

Good Luck!

• Joan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The Lakota have a point, the treaty has never been honored so they should abandon it. Problem is, what next? How do they secure their objectives? Autonomy? Eviction of all non-Lakota people? What do they want? I think it's too early to say what will happen, because we have not heard what their objective or endgame will be. As for whether the military will engage the Lakota over backing out of the treaty, I doubt it. I can see the same result as any person which asserts their sovereignty. They do as they please until someone with bigger guns objects. This usually doesn't require the military to intervene. The last time something like that happened, they burned the place down and killed almost everyone inside (Waco). Please understand; to someone standing on the other side of a really big gun, it doesn't matter if it's a soldier, policeman, ATF or FBI agent, even a forest ranger. From the gun holder's perspective, it doesn't matter if the target is right or wrong, most agents for the government don't get to make those types of decisions. There are plenty of references to how the US treats dissidents, which want to evoke absolute freedom or secession. Think about how it treated it's own populace during the civil war... Long story sort, the chances are slim. But the police may engage them. If they are unsuccessful then the military will be called in, but the police are an army in and of themselves.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You need a 4.0 GPA to get into any military acadamy. They only want the best of the best of the best. You also have to have a Congressmans approval letter, and stuff like that.

Look at this website, this was under the "Admissions" link, and then Sophomore. Already it says you need to be an Officer in what ever school group you are in, and you need to be in school intramural sports.

See, they want people that are leaders, and involved in everything. Class presidents, President of the speech club (if you can't be the pres, be one of the four officers--just keep showing leadership). If you are on a sport, letter in it.

You will not make it to West Point if you do not participate in anything.

http://admissions.usma.edu/pros_cadets_sophs.html

Source(s): Play around with the website.
  • 8 years ago

Do your parents contribute to any politicians campaigns? You need an endorsement from them. These are connected families with money and influence these people make high ranks in service and go on to political type careers, I have worked with a ton of academy guys they don't stand out for smarts. Everyone from the academies earns a a bachelors of science degree even if they had nothing to do with science while they were there. Get your parents to befriend some politicians do alot of sports in high school because it's mandatory in college. It's easier to go to a normal college and go to ocs or ROTC you can have the same career as an officer without the extra needed family influence.

Source(s): 13 years active duty
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

In order to be accepted to West Point, in addition ot an excellent academic record, you need a written recommendation from a member of Congress. Good luck :)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nothing you did before highschool matters. Play tons of varsity sports, tons of clubs, and only get A's.

• 8 years ago

you should take ROTC in high school. Also community service and volunteer work will help.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Spell "Great" right and then i can take you seriously

Source(s): I live 5 minutes from west point, they wont like "Grate"
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.