I'm 14 and I want to start my own Charity/non-profit organization, what do I need to know?

Alright, don't laugh.

I have about $100 saved up right now, I know that's nothing, but I could buy 10 mascaras with so hush ;P

Please take me seriously? What I plan on doing is making and selling bracelets, I'm starting high school in September, and I know it really isnt anything, but start out small right?

The thing is, I could just donate the money for relay for life, or another big foundation like that, which I do quite often, but I want to do this for all the people I see who really could use help and arent getting it.

I dont necessarily mean the potheads on the street, I mean family friends who's parents are ill and theyve become homeless, and such. Personally my familys going into debt cause of my mom's medical bills and theres 4 kids to feed with only my dad working, he has a decent salary but with all the expenses I have no clue what state we're in. My dad's not the kind of person to get into debt though, but nor is he the person to accept money from his daughter, the charitys for helping other people though, my family really doesnt need it.

Meh, I'm ranting. Could some reallly smart person who doesnt think Im a joke right me an essay on what to do? thank you. :)

• nicki
    Best Answer

Think about what kind of charity that you want to start. If you want to start a non-profit organization as identified by Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, your organization’s activities will have to be charitable and will have to fall under certain categories. The most common categories are community benefit, religious, scientific, and educational.

Ads by Google

Cancer Council Bequest

Leave a gift to Cancer Council so research & support continues

www.CancerCouncil.com.au/Bequest

2

Decide if a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization is best suited to serve your charitable goals. In addition to non-profit organizations, there are also charitable trusts. Trusts differ from non-profits in that they are centered more on the allocation of money than on the allocation of community services.

3

Define your mission. What is your organization going to do? What service will it provide your community? Once you’ve figured out your mission, write it out in a formal mission statement. It may seem silly to write a mission statement, but it’s absolutely necessary, and it’s very important—a good mission statement succinctly communicates to others—volunteers, community members, and potential funders-- what you do or what you hope to do. The mission statement should be short (1-5 sentences, ideally), clear, and free of jargon. If you’re having trouble writing, visit established organizations’ web sites and study their mission statements.

4

Create Articles of Incorporation for your charity. Articles of Incorporation lay out the foundations of your organization. You can find sample Articles on the internet. Articles of Incorporation state the purpose, name, duration of operation, type, structure, and other basics of your organization. Most states have forms online that you can fill out. Be aware that some states require at least two signatures on Articles of Incorporation.

5

Write the bylaws for your organization. Template bylaws can be found online. Bylaws are the rules that govern your charity. A set of bylaws will define how decisions are made, who makes the decisions, what type of governing structure will direct the charity, how the organization will be set up, and how conflicts will be resolved.

6

File an application packet for a non-profit organization with your state Secretary of State. A non-profit charity is considered a corporation, so generally application paperwork is directed to the corporations division of the Secretary of State. There is usually a small fee associated with filing.

7

Get a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). The EIN is the number the IRS uses to identify your organization for tax purposes. You’ll need the EIN on just about every form you fill out from now on, including IRS paperwork and grant submissions. You can call the IRS at (800) 829-4933 to get an EIN assigned immediately, or you can apply online, by mail, or by fax.

8

File with the Internal Revenue Service for recognition as a charitable organization. There are charitable organization application packets available online (see external links below). The IRS reviews applications for recognition as a charitable organization on an ongoing basis, so you can apply for charitable status at any time. The packet will ask you to submit information on what your organization will do, who it will benefit, how it will administered, and who it will serve. It is important to note that you must first complete your Articles of Incorporation and your Bylaws, and they get accepted by the Secretary of State prior to applying for federal charitable status.

9

Set up a board of directors and a registered agent. The board of directors will help guide the charity and will make decisions. The registered agent is a person that resides in the state of incorporation—he or she is responsible for receiving official communications from the state.

10

Start becoming active in your community. Advertise what you are doing, who is going to benefit, and how you are going to go about doing it. Try to get involved in partnerships with other charitable organizations. Even a small role on a larger project can build credibility and recognition for your fledgling organization.

11

Write grants, raise funds, create programs, hold events, bring people together, solve problems, and generally make the community, state, or world you live in a better place!

• Julie

I would start a rescue/shelter. It would mainly deal with dogs and cats but would be open to special animals to. I don't think it would be an animal sanctuary, it would aim towards animals needs, coming to a shelter or rescue should be a better life, if the animals are saved and put into cages what good will it do. The shelter would have a no kill policy and hands on activities for the elder and children. I would let the rescue/shelter be a happy home for animals, perhaps later I would add an area for older dogs to stay because of their low chances of becoming adopted. I would do all this because I think every animal deserves a better life and second chance, by creating a loving, caring environment you are creating a new life.

1

Source(s): Earn Writing Article http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline/?LfsD

well i know that a great online job for teens that can really help your business is cashcrate .they pay you for doing cash ,offers,surveys,referrals,and watching videos..so if you want to try it out sign up under

*************/2967960