Valerie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

I want a pet Flamingo but have a few questions?

1. How do you get one? (I live in chicago so what sort of permits do I need?)

2. Where do I get one? (preferably a baby)

3. How much do they cost?

4. How should I set up his cage?

5. If I get a male and female, how soon can they start breeding?

6. What do they eat again? Can I get it's food at PetCo or something?

7. If I get an older one, is he/she going to eat my dog? I have a pink Westie (kool aid of course!!)

8. What sort of shots will my flamingo need?

why not?

ok fine, what if I got a flock of flamingos?

9. How many do I need to have a flock?

10. Would an electric fence keep them in my back yard? and do I need to have their wings clipped?

Why wouldnt they be legal? That is why I asked how to get a permit. It has to be possible. Some people have alligators and tigers.. I just want some pretty pink flamingos. It isnt like they are dangerous or anything. If people can have tigers and alligators then why cant I have mine?

Favorite Answer

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,: I don't think you can get a flamingo as a pet...

Flamingo Pet

I think the main reason you will not be allowed one as a pet is because they are considered somewhat endangered (not completely but their population is small enough to be treated as a species to be protected). They are also held in captivity - so unless you own a national Zoo you're out of luck... ALSO let's consider that you are dumb enough to go out - capture one (lol!) and then bring it back home in your backyard in Florida, that ****** will just fly away! Or do you plan on keeping it in a cage all day? You had better have several acres of land that is fenced completely (even the ceiling lol)... so good luck with that too. Plus what the hell would you feed it?!!? They live off of brine and algae!! - Will you pay teams of people to go around in your fenced off multi acre back yard making salinized pools and large ponds that contain brine and blue-green algae? I mean at this point **** is getting really ridiculous - and good luck hiding the flock of ******* flamingoes flying around in your multi acre backyard people will notice and call the authorities. You should try writing some bills to congress if you want a pet flamingo flock, and you better have a suitable habitat for them beforehand...

It is illegal to have a wild animal as a pet. Flamingo's are protected by law, under the Migratory Bird Act. Any interference with them would lead to a BIG fines, perhaps even jail time.

It is also illegal for people to have tigers, and alligators. Many people are selfishly stealing animals from their native habitat. Most die of stress. Those that survive, live extremely unhappy lives.

Think of it this way, would you like to be taken away from your family and friends to live with a totally different species of animal? To never have the company of your own kind, to live free, mate and raise young is the saddest thing that could happen to an animal.

Source(s): vounteer in wild animal hospital
    • By that logic every bird that is a pet right now is very unhappy...

• Sandra

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axEfO

They are a natural part of the environment, they are hunted to some extent some people think they taste good in fact they were a delicacy in ancient Rome. Also their plumage is used to make some folk art. Their is a same amount of breeders but that's mostly for their plumage and pets not meat. All wild animals can hurt people if pressure is put on them but they aren't too aggressive. As for conservation like a lot of aquatic bird species they are feeling the effects of pollution in water systems and in some places are dying out in large groups. It's really hard to rebuilt their habit in third world countries.

Hey, ignore the haters. If it s your dream to have flamingos then go for it, I saw a camel in Nebraska so.... It will probably be expensive to set up though.

• Aaron

i dont think flamingos are legal pets to get one u would have to smuggle one or pay alot to have someone smuggle one for u and getting its supplies would be costly as well. sry but i dont think u can legally have one

uhm tigers and alligators arent legal pets all smuggled really to be pets. only zoos or places with trained staff have wild animals legally

hey u were such a huge help on my last question can u answer this too its simpler http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ar3Jq...

Flamingos are not pets.

Why not? They're wild animals. If anything, flamingos live in groups.

Thanks for trolling

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh really hard. (:

Have you tried researching online? google? etc.

Flamingos are wild creatures though. I don't think they make permits for owning a pink flamingo.

Good luck though!

Source(s): haha. flamingos.

this is the most random question