I look young, does that mean I'm going to be lonely for a while?

I'm eighteen years old, and I'm constantly told by people that I don't look like I'm old enough to be in college. I'm told I seem about the age of sixteen in appearance, but then about thirties in maturity level, if not more. I just feel like that because I look young nobody's going to even think of dating me. Everybody's always calling me "Buddy" and "Bud", and they're always telling me how cute and adorable I am...

I sort-of feel like I'm stuck in the same boat as Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page. Leonardo is about 37 years old...

and Ellen Page is 24...

Both of them look young for their age, and I read something about it being hard to put make-up on Leonardo DiCaprio so that he looked older than 17 in Inception, which was made when he was in his mid-thirties.

What do you think?

Thanks everyone, enjoy your day!

I'd smile if I could, but this is just text, so this is just going to have to count: :)

If you all smile I'll feel better, too. Please try your best to, you deserve to for helping a person out who you didn't have to.

• JPane
    Favorite Answer

I love Ellen Page; she's such a cute little pistol! Her personality and youthful appearance are what many of her fans find appealing, among other things. Imagine if she mutated into another Hollywood blonde bombshell; she'd lose what made her so attractive to us.

Also, were you paying attention during the 90s? DiCaprio was a teen heartthrob. Preteen and teen girls oozed at the sight of him, and even today, many would jump "Leo's" bones if given the chance. Johnny Depp also has a babyface, even though he's in his 30s-40s, but there are people who still think he is attractive because of this.

That said, you won't be lonely so long as people remain individuals. There are folks that admire, adore, date, and settle down with men and women who look cute instead of sexy or beautiful (but a blend of both can be helpful!). It also helps to have a good personality that augments these looks. And don't worry about what people in college say, since machismo is highly valued there, especially among the frat and sorority bunch. You'll find people who like you for who you are, looks and all.

• Ivory

I wouldn't worry too much about it. One of my best friends is a Sophomore in college, and she looks like she's about 15. She's been in a successful relationship for over a year now, and there are still a ton of other guys who would date her if she were single.

Trust me, there are definitely people who like younger-looking guys. You just have to be patient and wait for someone to come along. If you don't want people to see you as cute and adorable, practice carrying yourself a bit differently. Watch how people older than you behave, and kind of follow their model. If you don't act young, people won't see you as young.

I have the exact same problem.. I'm 18 and most ppl think I'm 16.. ugh oh well. When we're older this will be a great advantage but for now we'll just suffer.

It's ok to look young. That means you'll look older later then everybody else.

Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it now.