could someone please explain the following quote by leonardo da vinci?

Quote- “Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is, to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.”

-Leonardo Da Vinci

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

To me "nature commences with reason" implies that nature itself is reasonable as in natural selection and the logic of how nature proceeds. But for us with our "puny earthling" minds, we need to have a base from which to proceed (which would be experience), and from that be able to investigate the reason for/of things...Sounds good anyway!.... :)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

There looks little question that the quote is attributed to Leonardo da Vinci (see link a million) whether it quite is a sprint puzzling to music the best source. virtually quite, it's going to be from the interpretation of Leonardo's Notebooks via Edward McCurdy which grew to become into printed in 1906, yet i can't detect a link to coach that. As in step with the different area of your question, i think of there is no info to point that Leonardo did quite fly in any of his own works.

• John W
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Nature begins with reason (propagation of the species, plant or animal, and ends with what animals learn (experience) and plants' reaction to sun, weather, and seasons. Humans are begun with reason then immediately begin to learn and experience various things from the moment of birth. But it is incumbent on humans not to simply accept life and our surroundings as we find it, but to investigate and learn the reason we, and various other things work as they do.

Medical research and technology are just two prime examples of mans investigatory nature to ask why, and why not!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.