I want to apply to be a Deputy US Marshal. I am in the USAF.?

I have 2 yrs left on my enlistment, and at that time I will have 12 years in the USAF. Will that help my application process? I am in school right now and plan on having my bachelors by the time I get out but if I dont, do the 12 yrs of military experience help at all? I want to know what I can do to prepare for the application. I have an unblemished record in the AF so far. Thanks for all of your help.

Best Answer

After 20 years LEO in the AF I had been offered a position with the US Marshal's however I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about moving here there and everywhere as I had done in the service.

Your military background does help but more so if you have previous LEO experience.

One thing you may also wish to consider....you've put in more than half your time towards a military retirement of which you could still be eligible for the Marshal Service. Why waste all those years.

Do your 20...get the retirement...then apply for the Marshals!

Source(s): Police Officer +30 years
  • heika

By the time your current enlistment is up you will be sixty percent retired. That is a substantial asset to give up.I don't know what your job is, but if you are good at it and you enjoy (or can tolerate) the AF until you have your twenty in you will probably be way ahead. I know that under the present administration there is a great deal of uncertainty as to the advantages of staying in versus moving on. But, remember the US Marshall service is also a federal job and will probably be subject to the same kind of disruption the military is suffering at this time. I had a fantastic 20 year career in the Air Force (including 12 years in the far east) and had jobs waiting for me when I got out. Everybody's situation is different and you must weigh all the factors that affect your decisions. But, considering the investment you have already made, you should carefully examine all of your options. When you get are awarded degree you may want to consider applying for a commission. (More retirement pay)

Source(s): Lifes experiences

Good for you for wanting to continue your career in serving your country and thank you for what you have done for us so far. The US Marshals do favor prior military experience however they do look for a law enforcement background. You have the college and military so this might give you an edge over others applying. Contact you local recruiter and inquire. Remember many of the marshals on the reality television shows are part of a police department and work under the US Marshals fugitive units.

Good luck in you future endeavors.

Source(s): Law Enforcement Experience
  • mahala

Us Marshals Application

Previous military experience will help.

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..