Matt D asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 10 years ago

Do you need to be enrolled in school to stay covered under your parents health insurance? Affordable Care Act?

So here's the question in case you don't want to read my wall of text below (but it would be appreciated if you did to further understand my question). I was covered under my moms health insurance while in college and I was told I needed to be enrolled in school to stay covered, I dropped out a while ago and was wondering if I am still covered by law under the Affordable Care Act since I am only 19.

I was covered under my mothers health insurance, she works for a private company and she said that I needed to be enrolled in school in order to stay covered by the insurance. But this was close to a year ago if I'm remembering correctly. The reason I'm worried is because I'm taking a break from college, and have had multiple doctor appointments/tests done after I left, but I never had a problem with the insurance going through. I've made myself paranoid into thinking that the company may just not know, and is assuming I'm still in school and will randomly hit me with the costs of the testings and doctor visits if they saw I was not in school, or god forbid somewhere down the road my mother or I are in a serious accident and are dropped because of this. I know this happens all the time, the insurance agencies have people hired to find abnormalities in your history in an attempt to drop you and not have to pay the bills. So would I still be covered under my mothers health insurance even though I'm not currently enrolled in school under the Affordable Care Act? Once again I am 19 also.

Thank you

Favorite Answer

No. But that might not help you, and here's why:

Obama's handed out over a thousand exemptions to that law - mostly to unions and governmental entities like cities and towns. So mom's health insurance might not be subject to that law.

Additionally, the law doesn't "kick in" until her policy RENEWS, after 09-23-10. It's possible that the policy will renew in two days.

Lastly, mom would have to agree, and add you on during her once a year, "open enrollment" period. She'd have to pay for you, too. So depending on how long you've been unenrolled, and when her policy renewed, and if she elected to keep you covered, you COULD be hit with all these bills.

You will need to discuss this with your mom.

• Tom Z

As of September 2010 student status is no longer an issue. Insurers are required to offer dependent coverage until the "children" reach age 26. The requirement to be a student, whether full time or part time, no longer applies. You don't have to be living at home. You don't even have to be a dependent. You can even be married.

There is a remote possibility that your mothers employer received a waiver. In the past year about 2,500 temporary waivers have been granted to certain health group plans that means not every group has to comply with the new regulations. I would doubt this situation applies in your case because many of these waivers were granted to large employers that offer limited benefit policies and to unions that offer "Cadillac" plans.

The other possible issue is if you are employed. Because you are no longer going to school perhaps you are seeking a job. This can be an issue if your employer offers health insurance. If so you must go with the plan offered by your employer because in this circumstance you do not qualify to be on your mother's policy. It does not matter that your mother's plan might be cheaper or have better coverage.

Source(s): ...
  • ?

Many insurance companies dropped kids at 19 under the old rules but since September 2010 you can be added back onto your parents insurance if they request it. Until you are 26. Even if y ou dont live at home, not a tax dependent, and you get married. As long as you dont have a job that offers health insurance its ok. The insurance company can tell your parents you can be added only during open enrollment or during renewal period.

If you are only 19 I dont see why you are so worried about insurance unless you have some extraordinary medical condition. After 2014 there are no more exclusions for adults for pre-existing conditions. As of now, there cannot be exclusions for children any more.

If the new law does apply to her insurance, and you are not married, and either you have no job or you cannot get insurance from your job, then you do not need to be enrolled in school, and you are still covered unless your mother decides to stop you from being covered.

If the new law does not apply to her insurance, then you need to be enrolled, and you are not covered if you are not enrolled.

If you have a job and can get insurance from that job, then the new law does not apply to you.

If you are married to someone with a job, and can get insurance from that job, then the new law does not apply to you.

As long as your mother's firm did not receive a waiver from the Affordable Care Act & you are not working in a position that provides your own coverage, you would be now eligible for remaining on her coverage until you reach age 26. However, she will have to pay extra for her coverage in order for you to be kept on coverage through her plan.

Source(s): worked at a third party employee benefits administrative firm for over 25 years

You can stay on until 26 regardless of school status. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

No, It is voluntary by your parents