Philip
Philip asked in TravelAir Travel · 10 years ago

Should Children and/or Babies be banned in First Class or in the Premium sections of an airliner?

For those of you that travel in First Class and value it for privacy, service and comfort; you've probably heard of the Malaysia Airlines' Baby Ban in the First Class area.

Those people who travel in First Class (esp. on an Ultra-Long Haul flight), have paid top dollar (some flights can run a seat for as high as over US $30K) for all that luxury and privacy; and many of them get really agitated when they hear a baby crying in the middle of the flight or maybe a small child whining. This really is a very debative topic for me and was wondering what your views would be if any additional airlines we're to ban under 12-15 year olds in the First Class section?

Also, do you think that airlines should extend this no-child policy to Business Class as well?

Here are my views on this:

For:

- Peace & Quiet in these sections that offer privacy, comfort and services.

- More attentive and personalized services for me and the fellow flyers in that section.

- No rowdiness.

Against:

- Angry Families will protest.

- Airlines will lose quick profit, since many of them depend on the front of the plane for additional income.

- Violation of Human Rights.

In the for section, would like to add that if there are bassinets in the First Class area along with baby-change tables in the First Class Toilets, they can at least eliminate them (saving costs). In those sections, those baby facilities really only gets used in less than a blue-moon.

• Amy
    Favorite Answer

I flew with my baby daughter from Australia to the UK about 18 years ago. Who should sit right behind me but a loud mouth yank. As soon as he spotted my daughter he made comments that babies should not be allowed to fly. My daughter was a very good sleeper and never made a noise, she slept all the way through.. When we arrived in London I asked this brain dead individual what hell problem was and he ran off.

I hope you never have a child with your attitude, you are not parent material.

Source(s): The moral of the story, there are babies and there are babies as well as there are plenty of idiots.

Most people who fly in first class do not bring babies anyway. Therefore very few people are affected by this. As for airlines banning 12-15 from first class, I would disagree because they should be old enough to know what is right and wrong and that the parents need to discipline their child if he/she is out of line.

I can understand how some airlines don't want to alienate their premium customers because a first class ticket on most airlines is pretty expensive, especially if you are going across either the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean. Also if you have paid top dollar for a flight, a crying baby can ruin the first class experience. Same thing with business class. Business class can sometimes cost 2 or 3 times more than an economy class seat depending on where you are flying and what airline.

Some people have suggested that there be a section of the aircraft geared towards families with babies or small children. Some people are for that, but I think it will be hard for airlines to be able to force a family to sit in that section because doing so may alienate them.

I don't believe that a family who can afford to travel first class should be made to travel economy because a few people MAY complain about their children.

However I do think that parents should be prepared for a long haul flight by making sure they book a flight for when their child is likely to be tired, taking toys/books/activities with them to keep the child(ren) amused and also maybe work out a reward system, such as if you sit quietly and watch this film then at the end I will read you a book/play a game/give you a treat etc.

Other passengers do have to be aware that there may be an instance when a child becomes unwell and that parents can't be blamed for their son or daughter crying because they are in pain.

Bottom line, if people really want childless flights then they need to lobby for this, or go somewhere less likely to be a 'family' destination if that is an option. Also, think about how long First Class would last if it wasn't for families paying for many seats on each flight....

I personally feel it's a sad reflection of today's society, where nobody seems to be tolerant of others any more. Whether you have children, are fat (see earlier comment) thin, gay, straight, divorced, black, white etc., etc., there is always someone who wants to make you conform to what they think is better - and more often than not it's worse.

As long as the parents paid for the ticket , I don't see the problem.

Usually, kids travelling in First Class have been well brought up.

And as for babies , you were a baby too once..

• ?

No, if their family can afford a ticket then its well within their rights to sit in first class. They've paid just as much as you have. In my opinion planes shouldn't have first class. If those people are really so interested in having more comfort and privacy than everybody else then they should hire their own private plane. Also, if the plane crashes they will be the first to die, its actually safer in economy.

• Julia

fat people who take up two seats are more annoying.