Is my hot water heater 4500 Watts or 9000 Watts?

Typical setup, a top 4500 Watt element and a bottom 4500 Watt element. But it says Max Wattage is 4500 Watts. So this appears misleading. The only way it could be 4500 Watts is if only one element is activated at a time. It seems to me that it should say Max is 9000 Watts. I'm trying to determine if I... show more Typical setup, a top 4500 Watt element and a bottom 4500 Watt element. But it says Max Wattage is 4500 Watts. So this appears misleading. The only way it could be 4500 Watts is if only one element is activated at a time. It seems to me that it should say Max is 9000 Watts.

I'm trying to determine if I can run it with a 5000+ Watt generator or not.
Update: @Just guessing. Multiple days in winter time with a blizzard. It might be nice to shut everything down and just heat up the water so everyone can get a quick shower. Who wants to go out in a blizzard and use the barbecue grill just to heat water? I understand your point, but if I'm going to spend about 2... show more @Just guessing. Multiple days in winter time with a blizzard. It might be nice to shut everything down and just heat up the water so everyone can get a quick shower. Who wants to go out in a blizzard and use the barbecue grill just to heat water?

I understand your point, but if I'm going to spend about 2 thousand on a gen/panel switch/installation, it might be a nice option to put in. I'm looking at 7000W gens with 8600W surge in them.