If I want to design like boats, planes, or cars, what should I study?

Would industrial design be suitable?

Favorite Answer

it's industrial design, it used to be my major at the Art Institute. but you'll definitely need a degree in engineering if you really want to design cars. industrial design basically teaches you to style the cosmetic features of various products like cars. however, to actually get a job doing this for a car company, you'd need a degree in engineering in order to know how to make your design work with the mechanics and of the car. some art schools are having majors in transportation design which specifically teaches designing vehicles, but not all art schools offer this major.

this is basically what made me switch majors, i just didn't have enough money for 6 years of college. on top of that, it's really hard to find a job. but seriously, if this is what you want to do, f*cking go for it man. don't make the same mistake i did, you'll regret it.