Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 9 years ago

Whats the best way and time to drink water while drinking beer to prevent a nasty hungover or 1 at all?

Im drinking 3 tall calls of keystone ice 1 pint each that's about 6 beers.What i was told is that if you drink a pint of water before you start drinking.After you had 2 pints drink another pint of water.And a pint of water before bed.Is this true.If not how do you do it?

Favorite Answer

A hangover is caused by the body absorbing any available water in the body and the fluid around the brain gets absorbed and shrinks causing it to strain causing a sore head.

People drink alcohol more to get the buzz than to be social so it all depends what kind of drinker you are. So what I find effective when being social is have a beverage then a pint of water then a beverage then a pint of water etc etc so you can survive the whole night and not being a jerk like the rest of them.

alternating drinks, so having 1 alcoholic drink then 1 water/soft drink will help to keep you hydrated so should help minimise that part of a hangover which is due to dehydration. However alot of the symptoms of a hangover are caused by the effect of the alcohol coming out of your system.

Having a meal before you go out can help too, as can ensuring that the following morning you eat a good breakfast and continue to drink water.

As alcohol stops you reaching the right level of sleep, often this can cause hangove type symptoms (at least for me lol), but there is very little you can do.

Just remeber don't drive for the following day.

Enjoy!! :)

Source(s): i'm an alcohol worker

Yes this definitely does help, a few of the major symptoms of a hangover are caused by dehydration. This technique would work but you would have to be prepared for plenty of toilet visits haha. Another good way of helping to considerably ease the effects a hangover is to eat quite a bit beforehand. You want any fatty and starchy foods/drinks like pizza, milk, bread based products etc. I know firsthand that this helps a lot.

I usually drink all my drinks then when the night is kindof dying down (hour and half to two hours b4 u call it a night) drink water and keep drinking it as if it were alcohol. Then have a glass of water beside my bed when i sleep and wake up. This has always helped me/

Source(s): drinker smoker midnight toker

It may prevent a hangover, but you will still have the same amount of alcohol in your blood whether you drink water or not. One of the major causes of hangovers is drinking "sugared" alcohol, that is alcohol such as dark rum, or any coloured liquor. Stay with Vodka, Gin and that type. Needles to say don't use pop to rehydrate, it doesn't work

Source(s): Rest Owner

When I was young and sensible, I used to alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

I tend to line my stomach with something to eat (usually something bad for you like a McDonald's). Milk before you go out also helps to line your stomach, therefore absorbing the alcohol and helping to prevent a hangover.

Water before and after drinking helps to rehydrate you, which is basically what a hangover is; dehydration.

You willfind that if you avoid drinks like "Keystone Ice" and other chemical fizz and stick to Real Ale, you'll not get a hangover.

Try it - we brew around 4000 Real ales in the UK. They are cheaper than chemical fizz; taste better than chemical fizz; are better for you than chemical fizz - and they don't give you a headache like chemical fizz.

Sounds good. I was told as long as you drink plenty of water before bed you are ok.

• Drink alcohol and then drink your beer