Why would a guy bring a girl friend on our first date?

We planned out a simple date for today and we were both excited for it. So the day comes around and i text him where to meet me at since he lives farther away he has to drive a bit. So before he comes he texts me asking me if his friend can come. I thought oh its probably his guy friend who is bored...its happened... show more We planned out a simple date for today and we were both excited for it. So the day comes around and i text him where to meet me at since he lives farther away he has to drive a bit. So before he comes he texts me asking me if his friend can come. I thought oh its probably his guy friend who is bored...its happened before and it wasn't a huge deal. Then he told me it was a girl. I was instantly suspicious. Why would he bring a girl? but it was a casual hangout/date so i said why not, as long as she is really nice.

Date comes, i meet them and we get to talking. Instantly i notice how much they know about each other. I try to keep up but i feel a little awkward. We then continue on and were walking around the zoo. I feel like they are always walking next to each other, she grabs his hand to take pictures with her and shes constantly touching him. She even took a picture of him and said aww isnt that cute. I feel like im the friend watching their date, he tries a little to incorporate me but I already feel down and low, insecure. He pays for my things as well as hers, which again is odd to me.

We leave.

I text him back and he tells me there is nothing going on between them and he didn't mean to make me feel that way.
I honestly don't understand this.
Why did this girl come in the first place?
And do you think I am overreacting about the situation?