Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 8 years ago

Plz help! I need help with my homework!?

What was the significance of these cases

McCulloch vs. Maryland

Dred Scott vs. Sandford

Plessy vs. Ferguson

Brown vs. Board of Education

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

McCulloch vs. Maryland

Supreme Court decision surrounding the State of Maryland's attempt to tax all federal currency not chartered in Maryland.

The decision made in 1819 decided that -

1. The Constitution grants Congress implied powers to implement the express powers within the Consitution. Therefore, the allowed for a functioning national government.

2. States do not have the power to impede valid use of federal power by the national government which is mandated by the consitituion.

Dred Scott vs. Sandford

Was decided in 1857 and the decision led to the rise of the Republican Party in the United States, the Presidency of Lincoln, and the Civil War.

The ruling of the case was that slaves were not protected by the Constitution and could not be made US citizens. Furthermore, it ruled that the US Congress could not prohibit slavery in Federal territories, and because slaves were not citizens they could not sue in court.

Plessy vs. Ferguson

Was a decision made in 1896 it upheld the idea of segregation under the banner of "separate but equal". This remained law until the 1956 case of Brown vs Board of Education.

Brown vs. Board of Education

Was a decision made in 1956 that ruled that separation of black and white students in public schools was unconstitutional. the decision stated that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." The original Plessy vs Ferguson decision was ruled a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.

IM me pppprince15@yahoo.com if you need more detail.

• 8 years ago

Wikipedia each of them. You'll get it done a lot faster than expecting anyone here to give you a decent answer.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Type it in google

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.