How come Keith Richards does not have a signature guitar?

did he ever get an offer from Gibson? or he rejects to endorse any guitar brands? I mean, even third rate guitar players like Richie Sambora have a few why not Keith?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • mars
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Keith Richards was asked about this in a 1986 Guitar World interview. Keith just said, "Give me a few minutes and I'll make 'em all sound the same." There hasn't been a U.S. Fender KR Tele, but there was a Keith Richards Signature Model made in Japan in 1996; labeled 'Fender CIJ' (short for 'Crafted In Japan'). These are Tele Custom style, with a Humbucker in the neck-position, and a Natural Ash finish. They sell for about $2000 used./ As noted, KR does have 'signature' guitar strings. They are Ernie Ball "Keith Richards" Special Five String Set (.011 .015 .018 .030 .042). The package says "Not For Sale" though; have to be custom-made by the Ernie Ball shop./ Personally, I'd make a 'KR Model' be a Swamp Ash Tele Custom Shop 'Relic/Aged' style,(with extra drop-marks on the bottom). Would probably be a big seller!/ Keith is mostly known for his famous 1953 Fender Blonde Telecaster called 'Micawber'. He keeps this in Open G Tuning; and has the 6th string removed./ His 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard 'Burst (with Bigsby) has been quite famous. It's known as the "Keith Burst" guitar. (it's currently for sale at 'richardhenryguitars.com' brokerage firm)./ Keith also has/plays the first known surviving Fender Twin Amp (serial #00003). A 'signature' KR Twin would also be cool./ According to his guitar tech's site, Keith has over 3000 guitars. He plays these (about ten) main electric guitars -each with their own name- for a full show, depending. Probably any of these could be 'Keith Richards Signature' Models: 1954 Fender Telecaster, Natural finish; 1966 Fender Telecaster Sunburst; 1975 Fender Telecaster Custom; 1957 Fender 'Mary Kay' Stratocaster; 1957 Gibson Les Paul DC TV yellow; 1959 Gibson ES-355 Mono; 1964 Gibson 345 Stereo; also a clear Dan Armstrong guitar; a new custom Zemaitis, and several Acoustics guitars.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How come Keith Richards does not have a signature guitar?

did he ever get an offer from Gibson? or he rejects to endorse any guitar brands? I mean, even third rate guitar players like Richie Sambora have a few why not Keith?

Source(s): keith richards signature guitar: https://shortly.im/vCL8Y
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Keith Richards Telecaster

• Molly
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av0PG

Easy: If it sound good, it's Mick Taylor. If it sounds like an 8 year old, it's Keith Richards. FYI: Mick Jagger had to mix the record himself because Keith and Jimmy Miller were so whacked out on Heroin by the time the L.A. sessions were completed. Even though Keith had taken leadership in Nellcote, Mick has stated that he buried most of Keith's guitar parts in the mix because he was so mad at him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Keith always seems to nail the sound.

I have seen him play a lot of different guitars

but sticks with a couple of favorites for his

gigs.

Why would anyone call Richie Sambora a third rate guitar player?

He does his job very well.

• 9 years ago

For 1 the royalties would probably be too steep and then the guitars would cost too much. If he did have one, it would probably be a fender telecaster. Maybe Richie needs the money now. Maybe Kieth wants others to develop their own sound. Myself, I just get a fender 52 reissue telecaster, a vintage Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone and a good old tube amp and go for it. Kieth does have sets of Ernie Ball guitar strings available though.

• 5 years ago

With The Stones, it's very hard to tell between Keith and Ronnie. Several years ago I saw the first show on one of their tours and Ronnie was playing all the leads. I saw them again 2 months later on the same tour and Keith was doing all the lead work. On recordings you don't know how the engineer laid down the tracks, so right or left means nothing.

• OU812
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Some folks are above putting their name on something for profit. Not saying everyone who has a sig done that. In some cases it was about creating a guitar that was different from those already being made, The Gary Moore model for instance.

• 4 years ago

Well long nails are attractive... but to make this look sexy, put red nail gloss on.... now thats attractive hun!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.