Bad relationship with mom + feeling worthless; Please help :(?

My mom and I have a very complicated relationship. She is a very critical person and is constantly insulting me using every insult under the sun. Sometimes we get along fine- but half the time I don't know which mom I'll come home to- the bashing, critical one, or the nice, caring one. To make a long story short, I auditioned for a performing arts high school and whatever the reason may be, I didn't get in and that has made me doubt my acting ability and made me extremely sad. I'm 16 now and I act for my school; a school, mind you, that doesn't take acting seriously. There is virtually no competition so I'm always the lead. I plan to be doing another school's drama program and taking a 3 month class next year but I seriously feel like theres so much more I should be doing. I LOVE to act and it makes me so sad when I think of giving up on my dream. I feel like my mom doesn't believe in me anymore. I expressed an interest in becoming a dermatologist and she did all this research on programs, but she has never researched programs about acting. I know that it won't be my passion if I go through with it and settle for that field. Please help :( I mean, I really need to get out of here for college because my mom has ruined my self esteem and always verbally abuses me during the bad time. I am not being dramatic. But her approval still means a lot to me and right now, I feel like I will amount to nothing and have no clue what my purpose is in life.

Favorite Answer

I will not defend your mother criticizing you half of the time, but I will tell you that she probably acts like that because she really believes that acting is not a secure occopation for you. She does believe in you, or erse she would not give the effort for searching in dermatologist programs.

What I would tell you is to talk to her and make some kind of agreement. You will consider her suggestions for a period and you will consider hers. Remind yourself that there are things we like to do, but we don't really excel in them and acting as you may know is a tough profession. Also, your interest may fade out by the time you go to college or you may keep it as a hobby.

Let her know the way you are thinking, in order for her to realize you are growing up and she doesn't have to put you down in order to show you what is the best in life.

It sounds like your mother may be bipolar but that is something for a mental health professional to diagnose. Most parents prefer that their children pursue more reliable and lucrative careers. Try getting involved with a community theater group to better evaluate, challenge and hone your performing skills. Try to get counseling now, before your mother totally destroys your self confidence and self esteem. If you abandon performing now you will spend the rest of your life wondering "What if...?"

• .

She does approve of you. She wants what is best for you and she knows what is best. She doesn't look at acting seriously because it's a hard career to get into and be successful in unlike dermatology. She may sound harsh but it's her way of proving a point. Example, "Why are you acting stupid? Are you stupid? I know you aren't stupid, so why are you acting like it?" can come across as pretty harsh but she knows the person you are and what capabilities you have which seem to be pretty high to her.

She's probably more excited about you trying to be a doctor because she knows you'll make a good living. Actresses generally don't make enough money to live on.

Source(s): I'm an unemployed actor married to a dermatologist.

Find a time, sit down together and open your mind and say out everything that your are uncomfortable in.

Sit down and talk with her

if you need someone who would help you with your problems.. this person will help you.. she has helped me and given me life advices for free :) mysimplelifetoday@yahoo.com she helped me with my probs and all went great after contacting her :)

aww i just want to give you a cuddle.why dont you just talk about it to your mom and tell her how she is making you feel.

answer mine? http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=At...

try to undestand your mom and communecate with her.

http://www.resocouple.com/

Please be a better parent when it's your turn

good luck