I have a question for all martial artists, self defence practitioners etc. ?

Bottom line is I want to become the best martial artist I can be. I have had a lot from life which I am grateful I still have a roof over my head, and my health is back. I've took a lot of crap from people. I want to be able to walk away from a fight knowing that I could've shattered that person, I have a lot of anger in me ...

Currently I'm a 6th kyu in wado ryu karate and I practice regular (3-4 times a week), however I find it quite limiting. I'm not disrespecting the art, but it's probably because of my sensei as others criticise him (too lenient, doesn't teach well). I don't even know the meaning of my katas, we just walk through it. Literally! I don't feel confident or disciplined. I don't feel like I could execute my techniques in a real life scenario and would probably have to rely on my "natural fighter" instincts. I love shotokan tho. It truly is beautiful, the exaggerated katas etc. my dad has done it for 10 years, and 20 years on since he last trained he executes techniques like a sensei should. This is what I want to become. I am a girl and I have had many fights and only one was with a girl, the rest all boys.

I'm considering joining a shotokan club soon. However, I'd also like to do Wing Chun or TKD. I love the intimidating blocks in WC and the amazing kicks in TKD. But my question is; What do you do? What has it done for you? Do you feel better? How much has it benefitted you? And a detailed answer about your style please :)

Also, I want to be able to take on multiple attackers if I have to. I asked my sensei what to do if I got into this situation and he said run. I asked what if I'm grabbed, he still said run. Lol :/

• Ymir
    Favorite Answer

For multi attackers, read my answer for it here. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiWZm...

That being said, women tend to have more fragile hand bones thus they require stronger structure when punching to prevent injury and to dish out damage. Unlike a man with a large and heavy fist that can take a lot of bruising without breaking, a woman that takes that much damage is basically wasting energy that could have transfered into the target. When all energy transfers into the target, no damage is done or reflected back on the attacker's body. No bruising. No pain.

I mostly do a form of kenjutsu (sword techniques) called shinkendo (True/sharp way of the sword) which also teaches aikido because they kinda combined into one during Japan's historical ban on sword usage. My initial training was from Tim Larkin, Chris Rancek-Buhr, and Torin Hill.

I figured out pretty early, from my first schoolyard fight, that being strong wouldn't cut it. Because hits that simply hurt, even hurt for a week afterwards that gave me a limp, did nothing to me in the fight itself because of adrenaline. Thus I tried to either focus on my strengths and speed and toughness, in order to overcome the opponent's strength and ability to withstand damage and hope mine is higher than his, or I focused on increasing the force of my punch. But always I was looking for something to make strength, speed, and toughness irrelevant. Adrenaline takes too long to take effect. I wanted something to either replace or supplement my instincts.

In my other schoolyard fights, I quickly learned the value of range and the benefits/disadvantages of stability. So long as I refused to move forward fearing a take down or a fall, I wasn't going to hit anything with my punches that I had been working on for years at that point. To attack, one must have mobility. And later on I learned that increasing the strength in the legs will also increase one's offensive power, by allowing one to accelerate and de-accelerate on a time. This kind of balance was what would solve the range issues. So I worked on my legs, using squats, weight training, and then later on hindu squats and then later on one piston squats.

That was my self-training, when I had no formal instruction. After that, was the point I started training formally or under formal instruction. I was taught the principles powering any technique, from striking (which isn't just punching or kicking), joint locks (or lethal leverage), and throwing. Obviously I couldn't practice a lot of techniques from all 3, so I focused on getting the striking principles down and then transfer to joint locks and then throwing. It was during this phase that I learned how to visually breakdown any technique, whether striking, joint lock (submission), or a throw, and work it down to the engine that makes it work. The more complicated the technique, the harder it would be for me to use, but if I know how to disassemble it, I can also try to assemble it in a simpler form that I could use. Obviously you're not going to re-assemble anything when you forget what parts do what, or if you lose parts of the whole. That's what the principles education I had solved. Human anatomy and how joints lock (or break). Every joint pretty much moves the same way once you understand how one joint works in six motions.

I felt that this was what I was looking for, since a lot of the principles involved in techniques had little to nothing to do with size, speed, strength, or toughness.

Right now I suppose I'm an aikidoka, someone who does aikido. It gives me a chance to work with different people and body sizes, doing what aikido does best, hybrid or complicated joint leverages plus throws. Although recently I was reminded that just because someone is a black belt instructor, that doesn't mean they know everything about human joints and the pathological limit they should not be taken past. My instructor was doing something to my arm while it was on the ground and because of body weight, my elbow was taken to the 15 degrees of limit before it breaks, almost before I could tap out. Now I know that just because someone is an instructor, not to assume they know as much human anatomy as me. I need to keep myself uninjured, and that means assuming my partners won't know the safety limitations before they get to it. This is included with other stories of black belt aikidokas rotating and dislocating the shoulder of other black belt aikidokas. Some recklessness going on when people don't pay attention to human anatomy principles.

From my experience, learning how to use strikes, leverages, and throws solely to inflict crippling, maiming, or lethal force on targets has greatly benefited me in aikido training. While I don't have a lot of other people to compare myself to, I suspect my rate of progress or technique absorption is much higher than might be expected normally.

Source(s): I mostly work out with younger individuals, that started at the same time as me or earlier. I'm eager to progress farther so I can work with the larger males and the assistant instructor. In terms of application and intent, I need a higher level to challenge myself and grow.Currently, a lot of my time is spent explaining and giving training advice to those at the same rank as myself, those who started at the same time. While that's not a waste of time, it is at the same time, a distraction from self-improvement because I have less time to work on the techniques myself. The instructor is very formal in reigi or etiquette, but less stringent on other things like this, so long as I am only teaching or guiding my training partner, not the class or anyone else I wasn't paired up with. Oh well, faster my training partners get a grip on the fundamentals, faster I can improve.

No style is that, but a fighter can USE that style to make himself a complete, well-rounded fighter. There is no perfection since you can always advance yourself. Range of technique has nothing to do with being effective though. A simple kick to the head will be better than a fancy triple spin ballerina technique three times over. Jack of all trades simply doesn't work in martial arts because you must master the trade, and mastering takes a lifetime. If you have a guy who has mastered grappling then he can defend himself just as well as someone who has mastered standup fighting, there is no comparing. A martial art is a tool, you can't use ten tools at the same time just to complete one task. Thus my answer is that there is no answer. No style has everything that everyone is looking for, each style has everything that some people are looking for. Hope this helped.

I practice Motobu-ryu Karate, a style that is, from what I understand, quite similar Wado-ryu. I pride myself on being a gentleman, and I'm certain that my training has molded me into a gentleman. I do feel much better than I did before I started training. In fact, I go through a sort of withdrawal if I go too long without training.

Motobu-ryu is, I think, the first modern martial art. Motobu-sensei was decades ahead of his time. Training in Motobu-ryu centers around sparring. In fact, we only use three kata (Pinan, Naihanchi, and Sanchin). A key component to Motobu-ryu techniques is simultaneous offense and defense.

Why aren't you learning from your Dad?

I can't speak for Karate training. Maybe anger is useful in that training. But you might consider what might be the most difficult thing of all in some types of martial arts training - giving up your anger. There are always very good reasons to be angry but in my experience you can only get real power in your life by giving up anger, especially while sparring. Anger binds up your mind and your ability to perceive and react.

You ask what my style has done for me. I started from the other end. I didn't have enough aggressiveness. I got involved in Tai-chi-Chuan thinking that it was very gentle (boy was I wrong!). I had to let go of fear, which I guess is also tied up with anger. It's not that I had to get tough enough to overcome fear. I had to give up fear first so that I could learn.

I had to learn to be able to laugh when I got punched and then come in with full force while still in a happy, relaxed state. To be relaxed yet fast and powerful is counter-intuitive. To not be angry at the opponent and yet be willing to spar with full intent and force requires a perfect balance of relaxation and aggressiveness. This is what I learned - to be balanced.

As others here will probably tell you - it's not so much the style. It is the teacher. I always say that an instructor teaches you a style. A teacher teaches you martial arts. A master teaches you about yourself.

I

Krav maga best martial for self defense however i do warn u there are no rules to krav maga

however it will make u strong