Birdy asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 8 years ago

Suburbs of Chicago to move too?

Hi! Me and my hubby currently live in the City. But my 4 year old daughter is going to start Kindergarten in a year and I really dislike the city. We would like to move to the north suburbs because he works on the northern side of the city, but other suburbs are good too. We are looking for a clean community, great schools and spacious houses. Our annual income is about $450000 if that helps at all. Thanks a lot~ Sophia

Best Answer

$450,000? Wow, not bad!

With that kind of money, you could afford a house in the North Shore. Suburbs like Wilmette, Winnetka, and Glencoe in the North Shore are expensive, but offer large and spacious houses as well as a fantastic schooling system (New Trier Township). They are 5-10 miles north of the city, but the Edens Expressway passes right through there, so your husband can hop right on that to get to the city. There is also a Metra train route that goes to the city from there.

Park Ridge is also a good option. It's pricy, but not as expensive as the North Shore. It offers large houses, a very good schooling system (Maine Township), and is just outside the city limits of the northwest side of Chicago.

Less expensive, but good, options include Niles, Morton Grove, Skokie, Norridge, Des Plaines, and Mount Prospect. They are mainly middle-class areas, with decently-sized houses, average school systems, and are close to the north side.

Hope this helped.

Source(s): Northwest Side Resident.

When looking for a home in the suburbs of Chicago, it is smart to consider the commuting situation. Your husband will not want to be tied up in rush hour traffic jams. Find out what public transportation is convenient to the place where he works and think about whether he intends to work there for many years to some.

If he is working on the north side of the city, find out if the Metra serves the area.

There are nice houses and good schools in Arlington Heights which has a Metra Station. Highland Park is another good choice. Grab a good map and see which suburbs would work best.

I lived in Wheaton and commuted to my office on LaSalle Street. That worked for me. It was a lot nicer to take the train and relax and chat with my neighbors on the way home rather than drive.

• Lolly

Niles, Mount Prospect, Morton Grove, Glenview

The schools in Naperville (district 203) are top-notch, but it can be a bit pricey to live there. If you're looking for a slightly less expensive option, nearby Bolingbrook and Woodridge are almost as nice, and some areas of these towns attend Naperville schools.

Source(s): I am a graduate of the Naperville Community Unit School District 203