Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?

What is proper etiquette for street photography?

Favorite Answer

well.... etiquette for street photography differs from city to city.. for instance in UK, you would need to take permissions and most will disagree, while in India people pose for you even if you don't intend to shoot.

For me, the real essence of street photography is the candidness. If you ask and then shoot the same is lost. Your subject becomes conscious.

I would rather shoot from a distance (zooming in to the frame) and shoot candid. If I see the person noticed my act, I would go and ask for his/her permission if I am allowed to keep the photo.

In rare cases, when I find I have taken a brilliant take and have big chances of winning an award with the photo, then I would take a step ahead and convince my subject to sign a model release (which I keep handy in my Camera Bag). I also carry few small gifts (like pens, key chains etc) and give them to supportive models. I share my business cards, so that they know where to contact me if required.

P.S.: I do share a portion of my prize amount with my model if his/her photo got me an award! That way I know I will get more models to shoot with and I get a goodwill too!

.

Source(s): www.bhaskardutta.in
  • I was street shooting in NYC last week and found varying reactions from demanding a fee to complete indifference. I try not to be too invasive. It's amazing from so far away a subject can "feel" the presence of a lens aimed at him. When shooting street vendors and their wares, try to catch them in a busy moment i.e. Making a sale. Somewhat of a sneaky tactic but it works. Fageddaboudit. A great place for street shooting is Chinatown with it's frenetic pace and colorful displays of exotic foods. The shopkeepers don't even know you're there. Of course musicians you can shoot all you want...they can use as much notoriety as they can get (a buck in the violin case is always helpful too).

Source(s): New York City

I keep a set of business cards on me with only an (alternative) email address to give to people who seem interested in my work. I keep two single bills in several pockets for tips and I usually point to the camera and mouth "may I?" if they see me before I take a shot.

Just use excuses like

"O' I thought you were a celebrity"

"You are very good looking"

"You are interesting"

Source(s): -Washington

Don't set up your tripod in the middle of the intersection.

What exactly do you mean?

You ask people for their permission to photograph them or their property. (I know I would appreciate this) Don't trespass.