Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Why do people always hate on AJ Burnett, but not on Phil Hughes?

Aj's era: 4.96

Phil Hughes: 6.46 (Worst in the league)

When was the last time AJ gave up 7 runs anyway. In his last game he technically gave up 7 runs, but 3 of them were Ayala's fault.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"When was the last time AJ gave up 7 runs anyway"? Well, how about August 3rd against the White Sox? He had a 13-1 lead then couldn't make it through the fifth inning and gave up 13 hits and 7 runs in 4 1/3 innings! Pathetic! Don't blame Ayala for Burnett's mess. Burnett put those guys on, not Ayala, and way Burnett was going, they would have scored anyway.

Yankee fans hate on A.J. because he signed a contract for $83 million and the Yankees expected him to dominate and form a 1-2 punch at the front of the rotation with CC Sabathia. He's only proven that he doesn't have the guts to pitch for the Yankees, gives up a ton of home runs, can't win big games, goes entire months WITHOUT winning games (ONE win since the end of June), he's won ONE game in the month of August in his three seasons with the Yankees. Also, he was 10-15 last season with an ERA of over 5.00 and this year he's 9-10 with an ERA again near 5.00

Why don't we hate on Hughes? Well, Hughes was one of the reasons the Yankees won the World Series in 2009 (he was great as Mo's set-up man), he doesn't make ridiculous money like Burnett does, and I think Yankee fans realize that Hughes troubles are due to arm trouble, unlike Burnett whose issues are in his head.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Burnout makes $16.5M a season to stink the place up. His K:W ratio is less than 2:1 and his ERA/WHIP are more consistent with those of a #4 or 5 starter. His post-All Star break ERA over the last two seasons is 6.48. He's just 4-11 over that span.

Because he is totally useless late in the season it puts the team at a disadvantage in the playoffs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I loathe the Yankees. Still, it explains why people despise the inbred, tattooed freak.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Pitchers have bad outings and good outings. Phils last 5 outing were excellent not counting this one. This is just one start he messed up out of his last 6. Aj on the other hand has not had a god damn win since beating milwaukee!!!!

Why are u hating on phil for an outing? Im hating on AJ because of 2 months full of bad outings. He has literally not gone with a decent start since milwaukee.

• 10 years ago

Cause Burnett's like the Ochocinco of the Yankees.

Hughes just pitches.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Burnett is paid to actually be a good pitcher, which he has not been.

Hughes has had a couple great starts lately, while I can't remember the last time Burnett had a decent game.

I can't stand Burnett's attitude.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

AJ is a veteran who gets paid $15 million per year and Hughes gets paid just about nothing and is a relatively new player yet to prove himself. Plus there are a lot of haters out there that just want to see him do bad.

• bored
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Hughes can actually pitch, look at the last couple starts before. Burnett? That guy can't pitch at all. Put in the fact he's getting paid 16.5 million.

• 10 years ago

burnett getting 16 million to do what base salary players are doing. waste of an investment that's why

• Snid
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I didn't know when this was asked about 4 hours ago and I don't know now. Or care.

• Chris
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I hate on both of hem

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.