Southerners: How important is food to you?

Update:

(Southerners from the Deep South and up to, say, Kentucky or Missouri)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes! It is very important to our family. It always has been.

It's been said that magical things happen around the Southern dinner table. Sometimes I think that if we got all of the world leaders around a Southern dinner table passing food to each other, telling stories, listening to bluegrass and 'retiring' to the front porch for dessert, we would have world peace! :)

The kitchen is the center of my house. I am in it a lot and so is my family. We don't just cook and clean in my kitchen, we socialize, make plans, and the kitchen door is where guests let themselves in to visit. The front door is only used to go out onto the porch. This is also where the magic happens. AKA Southern Cooking!

Southern cooking is my favorite, I cook up old recipes and new ones. Food is important because we can pass on our old skills to our children and hopefully they will pass it on to their children... Some important skills that pertain to that would be gardening, canning, pickling, cooking and baking, decorating pastries, smoking meat/making sausage, and most of all hospitality. These skills may seem time consuming and unnecessary to some, but to those of us who still practice them, they are extremely useful and fulfilling.

In the South, there is no greater way to express your gratitude than to bake your neighbors a pie, invite them over for supper, take them out to your favorite Southern restaurant, or give them a case of homemade jellies for Christmas. Junior League cookbooks are collected and are worth their weight in gold to the Southern cook! And make great gifts to others who love cooking. Everyone's grandmother makes the BEST biscuits, coconut cake, fried chicken, collard greens, or what have you. Someone usually will bring a guitar, or some other musical instrument and play and sing on the front porch after supper.

Southern food itself has a lot of history. If you live in Appalachia, you will have more biscuits and jellies. You'll have BBQ, fried chicken and greens. The closer to the coast you may have rice based dishes and dishes with seafood like Gumbo and Fried Shrimp! Out in Texas and Louisiana you will have spicier foods. We have many cultures to thank for Southern cooking: Spanish, Native American, African, Cajun, Creole, and French to name a few! In fact, you'll find that Southern Cooking and American history go hand in hand! For example, "Poke Sallet" came from hard times in Appalachia. In the winter, if you ran out of food, you'd take a bit of buckshot, shoot any bird you could find and dig up some greens... Any greens and cook that up for supper. Considered a last resort back in the day, Greens and some kind of meat are now a staple of Southern cooking.

So, in conclusion, it's not just about our mouthwatering food, It's about how our food brings people together. It brings us together in the kitchen and at the table. It teaches us skills that we can pass on through the generations. To me, a plate of perfectly cooked Southern food on a picnic table covered with a checkered table cloth under party lights with mason jars filled with sweet tea... Is a true work of art.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Without food we would die just like people from anywhere so it's very important. By the way, Kentucky and Missouri are not Southern States.

Source(s): Southerner
  • 9 years ago

I am from about as far South as you can get- on the Gulf Coast-in the Heart of Dixie. Food is very important to us. It has been ingrained into our culture, as we all need to eat several times a day.

Meals have always been the gathering place for the family-especially back in the days, when family members worked on farms or in fields. They all met for the common meal, to share the days accomplishments and success or worries. Most of us still tend to share a meal together. It serves as a bonding tool, especially in these days of harried schedules, when every family member seems to be constantly pulled a different direction. For some, this is the only time the entire family has time to really sit together and actually talk.

We always get together and cook for the sick neighbor, or the family that has lost a loved one, to lessen the days load on them.

Most of our important holidays and celebrations have a good home cooked meal included in the plans-Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, andThanksgiving.

Contrary to what some might believe, we do not deep fry just about everything. But, some things are very good fried, and most of us here figure we are at least going to enjoy a few things before we pass on, and food is one of them!

• Arline
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Harlem is changing again, brother... with real estate booming in NYC, rich folk looking to find the next hip, edgy neighborhood to gentrify and Bill Clinton's arrival, Harlem has morphed into the new Village (downtown Manhattan for those not from there). Where there were only fish and chicken shacks and weed spots, there are now Starbucks coffee shops and brownstones that cost a mint. It's not letting up and soon, all those people who made the area hip and edgy won't be able to afford to live there. It's a sad, sad tale... Peace, Me

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Cajun food is a labor of love. Most of the rest of the South Eastern U.S. (I assume you're meaning), seems to just deep-fry any and everything.

Source(s): mmmm......cajun food.....
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

In what country? lol. And I'm pretty sure food is important to all people...

• 9 years ago

VERY. It's right up there with water, it helps me live. Mmmm life.

• T.B.
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

we need it to live,but water is needed more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.