Should I learn spanish before going on "The way of St. James"? (full walk)?

title says it all. I plan on taking the FULL french way trek. Are there certain phrases I should learn? I know there will be alot of other pilgrims on the way, but I don't want to be unprepared for when I get there. No, I don't plan on using a touring agency (though someone told me I could get a... show more title says it all. I plan on taking the FULL french way trek. Are there certain phrases I should learn? I know there will be alot of other pilgrims on the way, but I don't want to be unprepared for when I get there. No, I don't plan on using a touring agency (though someone told me I could get a "religious passport" that would let me stay/eat at way points for free....Can't find any information. Link would be great.) How much money should I bring with me? besides money for plane tickets. :P (can I get a discount for going on this religious pilgrimage?)
Thanks.
Update: I should probably say I live on the east coast of the United states. And the information I found on the Religious passport is called a credencial. I'm not catholic but I am going on this trip for religious reasons. Would that keep me for getting the credencial and the compostela?