For a basic computer user, will I notice a difference between an i3 and an i5?

I am looking for an upgrade to my 4 year old HP laptop. It has 1GB of RAM and a 250GB HD with an Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz running 32 bit Windows 7 I use my computer for running Office Applications like Word and Excel mainly, browsing the internet for research purposes generally using multiple browser tabs on... show more I am looking for an upgrade to my 4 year old HP laptop.

It has 1GB of RAM and a 250GB HD with an Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz running 32 bit Windows 7
I use my computer for running Office Applications like Word and Excel mainly, browsing the internet for research purposes generally using multiple browser tabs on Mozilla, paying personal bills online, and periodically watching a video online or from my hard drive, and of course generally listening to mp3's while I work.

The reason I mention all of this is because my current PC is just keeping up with me. But the computer is old, outdated and with me lugging it around here and there, is bruised and battered and it needs to be put out to pasture.

So now I am looking at a couple of new HPs. I really like their g7 series but I am not sure between the g7-1173ca and the g7-1174ca. They are both precisely the same apart from a slightly larger hard drive in the 1174ca which is not much of a concern for me.
And also one is a i3 and one is an i5. The i5 is nearly 100.00 more so I am wondering is it worth it for me to spend that much more money?
I don't play games on my computer except for the periodic Mahjong Titans or FreeCell and the movies I watch on my computer are generally low quality AVI's or shows streamed directly from the internet.
Will I notice a difference between them?

Which one is better for my purposes?