Can't remember the title or author of a children's book I read in the 80's?

I'm trying to find copies of the books I read as a girl for my daughter as I'm hoping she'll love them as much as I did. There are two I can't remember much of at all but I remember loving them! I read a lot of books such as The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, The Secret Passage etc and these... show more I'm trying to find copies of the books I read as a girl for my daughter as I'm hoping she'll love them as much as I did. There are two I can't remember much of at all but I remember loving them! I read a lot of books such as The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, The Secret Passage etc and these were written in a similar style. All I remember about the first is that it was set on a barge and the children were runaways I think and they had to disguise themselves. I remember one part describing how they had to lie on their backs and use their feet on a bridge roof to push themselves through it. Not much to go I know but it might jog someone's memory!
The next one I don't remember much at all but I think it was based around two girls who were sent to a boarding school or similar that was really strict and one scene is where they secretly climb a tower to get their box of belongings and then they escape. Again, hardly anything to go by but I know I read them many times over (but we are talking about 25+ years ago!! Many thanks and I hope someone can help!!
1 answer 1