promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Do lot of US Catholics act according to their own informed conscience regarding moral issues?

A survey by Guttmacher Institute shows that only 2 percent of Catholic women, even those who regularly attend church, rely on natural family planning. Nearly 70 percent of Catholic women use sterilization, the birth control pill or an IUD to prevent pregnancy according to the Guttmacher Institute research.

NOTE: Though the results of the survey may be somewhat skewed, the trend is clear. A lot of practicing catholics do NOT accept all teachings of the church though the church has declared artificial contraception as mortal sin. A lot of catholics are bound to their INFORMED conscience in determining which is correct and which is wrong

SOURCE:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/14/us-most-...

Another survey also shows a lot of practicing catholics are supportive of CIVIL gay marriage rights.

The survey found 53 percent of Catholics supported the idea of same-sex marriage

56 percent of Catholics did not believe sexual relations between two adults of the same gender constituted a sin, compared to 46 percent of the general population.

60 percent of Catholics favored adoption rights for same-sex couples,

The influx of Hispanic Catholics into the U.S. church in recent years did not skew the results,

NOTE: Again, the result may be somewhat incorrect...But catholics are more accepting of gay relationships when compared to protestant and general population

SOURCE:

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2011/03/22/sur...

Update:

@Tasha

"I am surprised when some active parishioner-friends of mine explain their socially liberal viewpoints to me." ------ THIS IS VERY TRUE...THEY DONT ADHERE TO ALL TEACHINGS OF THE CHURCH

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

The problem is that these people are not informed.

I cannot tell you how many Catholics I know that didn't know that birth control was against the Church. Then you have others who knew it was, but didn't think condoms or IUDs or vasectomies, withdrawal and so on were birth control.

One cannot have an informed conscience if they aren't informed in the first place.

Most likely, there are very few Catholics who are actually informed and decide go into Mortal Sin by using birth control anyway.

As for the homosexual trend...unfortunately, that is true. Many people are under the impression that homosexual acts are sinful because the two are not married and NOT because they are of the same sex. Therefore, they believe that if they were able to marry, then it would no longer be sinful.

Again, it comes down to a lot of misinformation and ignorance. On top of that, people are terrified to state homosexual acts are intrinsically evil because then you are a homophobe and people don't want that title given to them.

I also have to say this is partially the Protestant Revolution's fault. Luther opened the doors to people deciding what is right and what is wrong, therefore making Truth relative, which it is not.

God states "______ is sinful" and therefore it is sinful. Regardless of our own beliefs about it, it is sinful because God states it is.

To decide for one self what is sinful and what is not is to try and play God Himself--which we cannot.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

unfortunately... there are many Catholics who are that way only by name. Some dont even know what the Church teaches, and manyof the others arent willing to learn why she teaches what she does. Still there is a group that is like much of society and just feels their opinions are better than that of the Church. There are many that might not agree or understand a teaching completely but will submit to the teachings of the Church anyway (which is very honorable), because they realize Mother Church has been at this a long time and certainly knows better than us what is best morally for our souls.

• 9 years ago

While I doubt the validity of the polling numbers (as poll questions can be skewed to obtain the results they are looking for and the message they wish to project) I will say that the "informed" Catholic (or Orthodox) is more likely to be tolerant of those who are either homosexual or use birth control. Part of this stems from either the Vatican (Roman Catholic) or Ecumenical Patriarch (Eastern Orthodox) defining clearly what is expected in line with scriptures and the faith. If nothing else, that gives a more solid foundation to become "informed" as opposed to the shaky foundation of individual interpretation.

That said, the "informed" one may not be so informed as they are mislead; after all, there is such a thing as misinformation, also.

• 9 years ago

But the Catholic Church also teaches that we must follow a sincere, honest and INFORMED conscience. Even in the confessional, the priest is bound to honor anyone stating they are following their conscience in some of subjects you mentioned. In such cases, he cannot refuse absolution. The priest may strongly caution the penitent that the heavy burden of proof does rest upon the shoulders of the penitent between the penitent and God. But the priest cannot judge. He can only strongly advise. Our lives should be guided by love which sometimes requires us to step out upon a limb in trusting in the God of Love. "Lord be merciful to me a sinner".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tasha
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, yes. I'd venture to say that a large percentage of these are either not regularly attending Mass and/or not involved in any other part of their parish other than Mass attendance. Even still, I am surprised when some active parishioner-friends of mine explain their socially liberal viewpoints to me.

Source(s): Roman Catholic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.