Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 10 years ago

What's the difference between a grasshopper and a cricket?

Please be specific in your answer.

What are the MAJOR differences between a grasshopper and a cricket?

*Tried doing my own research, no luck ):

A few other questions to answer for me!

1) Do crickets / grasshoppers travel alone or in groups?

2) Do crickets / grasshoppers bite? If they bite, does it transfer anything bad like venom, or parasites, or anything potentially harmful to the human body?

3) Why did a cricket / grasshopper come into my home? (I noticed this cricketing sound / grasshopper sound.)

* What attracted, or made the cricket / grasshopper fly into my home? Was it food lying around my kitchen that attracted the cricket / grasshopper?

Need to know everything and anything about crickets / grasshoppers. (All the necessary information at least.)

Thanks!

*Please thorough in your answer!

Note: The cricket / grasshopper that flew into my house was light green, it obviously flies, it made this repetitive smacking sounds with it's wings I think, like a clapping, smacking 'cricket noise', and it just kept on making that 'cricket noise' as it flew away in terror from me as I tried to kill it. The light green cricket / grasshopper, made the 'cricket noise' in 1 to 2 minute intervals, I think.

Not sure if I put this question in the correct category, my apologies.

How do I prevent any crickets / grasshoppers flying into my home?

Note: If you purchased 'Raid Max Bug Barrier', I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

The 'Raid Max Bug Barrier' product, only keeps out insects / bugs that crawl.

It does not keep out flying insects such as flies, or CRICKETS / GRASSHOPPERS.

'Raid Max Bug Barrier' is a good product to keep out crawling critters, but not a great product to keep out flying insects. So it's a decent product, but not the greatest.

It kept out bugs from invading my home just great. But the flies flying in and out of my house, no.

Favorite Answer

A grasshopper is active in the day and a cricket is active in the night.

Crickets and grasshoppers look similar, but there are differences. A big difference is that they belong to different families.

The grasshopper is an insect of the suborder Caelifera in the order Orthoptera.

Crickets, family Gryllidae, are insects somewhat related to grasshoppers and more closely related to katydids or bush crickets (family Tettigoniidae). They tend to be nocturnal and are often confused with grasshoppers because they have a similar body structure including jumping hind legs. The bugs of Caelifera usually have rather short antennae while Ensiferan Orthopterans have longer ones. This is a useful way to differentiate between the two suborders even if some Ensiferans like mole crickets have short, grasshopper- like antennae. Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Subphylum: Hexapoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Orthoptera

Suborder: Caelifera Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Subphylum: Hexapoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Orthoptera

Suborder: Caelifera Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Subphylum: Hexapoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Orthoptera

Suborder: Caelifera Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Subphylum: Hexapoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Orthoptera

Suborder: Caelifera

• ?

Grasshopper Vs Cricket

• shary

Cricket Vs Grasshopper

Grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, and locusts all belong to the order Orthoptera. Members of this group share a common ancestor.

Based on physical and behavioral characteristics, the Orthopterans can be split into two distinct groups, or suborders – the Caelifera and the Ensifera. Caeliferans include the grasshoppers and locusts. The suborder Ensifera is comprised of the crickets and katydids.

The following traits separate most grasshoppers and locusts from their close cousins, the crickets and katydids. As with any rule, there may be exceptions.

Differences Between Grasshoppers and Crickets

Characteristic Grasshoppers Locusts Crickets & Katydids

Antennae short long

Auditory Organs on the abdomen on the forelegs

Stridulation rubbing the hind leg rubbing forewings together

against the forewing

Ovipositors short long, extended

Activity diurnal nocturnal

Feeding Habits herbivorous predatory, omnivorous, or herbivorous

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Please be specific in your answer.

A few other questions to answer for me!

2) Do crickets / grasshoppers bite? If they bite,...

Source(s): 39 difference grasshopper cricket: https://tinyurl.im/vlJM2

light green, more likely a grass hopper. Why would you want to kill it? You intending to eat it? If not then leave it alone. Poor thing. Both are vegetarians [herbivores] so they do not 'bite' unless you are a vegetable. They are not known for carrying diseases.

They are unlikely to come come inside for search of food, more likely be mistake. Pick up and take outside.

Be less scared of the other life forms that you co exist with on the planet.

• Norine

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/1mOvu

a grasshopper is an insect and cricket is a game where people rub red balls on their crotches silly person Kenny Dooker, did you just TD me? you tw@t lmfao

Sounds like it might have been a katydid that flew into your house, not a cricket.

Grasshopper is green & Cricket is brown...................................................................................................