Florida knife carrying law help?

the Florida statutes confuse me with their local & state laws. im turning 17 this coming October and i'm planning on getting a knife. I have been carrying folding pocketknives for 4 years now. I am a very active person and i like to go fishing, hiking, etc. and my last knife broke and i never realized how often i use it and need it until i didnt have it. So i was thinking about getting a fixed blade instead of a folder because the blade lock is what broke on my old knife. the only thing is that i dont know if there are any specific rules about fixed blades. so even if i was looking for a folder, i would want one that at least has assisted opening instead of pulling the blade out manually. a few "rules" i've been told are that the knife cant be longer than your extended hand when it's opened. im not sure if this rule goes for fixed blades also. i live on the outskirts of town sort of between the country and the city. cops are common in the area and i just dont feel like getting a $50+ knife confiscated, so what can you tell me?

also, i wasn't planning on concealment, just an exposed sheath. but i was wondering if i were to put the sheath in my pocket (handle still exposed) is that still concealment? and what if i decide to get a folding knife, if i clip it to my pocket and its visible, thats not concealment is it? can someone clarify the laws please?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

You are allowed to carry concealed in Florida.}{

The state of Florida allows residents to carry concealed weapons as a means of self defense provided that they follow all laws and obtain a proper license. However, there are specific instances and specific knives where this right is not extended.

Knives and minors

Pursuant to Chapter 790, section 790.18 of the Florida statutes, it is illegal for a dealer to sell or transfer to a minor any bowie knife or dirk knife. Violating this law is a considered a felony of the second degree under Florida law.

Switchblades

In the state of Florida, it is illegal to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess or use a ballistic self-propelled knife (commonly called a switchblade). If found guilty of this crime, you can be charged with a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Carrying concealed weapons

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services issues licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms as long as several requirements are met. The license must bear a color photograph of the licensee and the individual must be able to provide an identification card upon demand by a law enforcement agent. Licenses are only issued to resident citizens of the United States at least 21 years of age. Those with a "physical infirmity," mental illness, a criminal record relating to controlled substances (drugs) within the past three years, or habitual offenders of drug and alcohol offenses are unable to receive a license. Those seeking a license must take a safety course, fill out an application and pay a fee of $85. The license may be rescinded at any time for lack of failure to comply with any of the state's requirements.

Jack Hagler Self Defense Act

Section 790.06, the Florida concealed weapons statute, is also referred to as the Jack Hagler Self Defense Act. The act, signed in 1987, was enacted to provide the state with a uniform set of laws pertaining to concealed weapons and to protect citizens' right to bear arms as well as defend themselves. Generally, reference to the act tends to pertain to guns as they are the most commonly used weapons for self defense and the most controversial.

Castle Doctrine Bill

The Castle Doctrine Bill, signed in 2005, further expanded Florida's concealed weapons laws. The bill allows individuals to use deadly force against those who forcibly enter your home or car. The law also stated that police officers and other officials who carry firearms as part of their job and duties could not be prosecuted for using such force.

Read more: Knife Laws in Florida | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6140502_knife-laws-florid...

• 3 years ago

Jack Hagler Self Defense Act

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.