Being harrassed for not standing for The Pledge of Alleigance?

I do not stand for the pledge of alleigence at school. I am aware that it is not a requirment acorrding to the law. I have my personal reasons against it, such as the phrase "one nation under god" ( Im an agnostic) and "liberty and justice for all" because the phrase isnt true when alot of citizens such as queer people are still denied certain rights, and that doesnt seem very "just" to me. I'm a senior in high school and I haven't done it ever since I was in 10th grade. All of my home room teachers have been very tolerant of it and have never said anything to me about it, including my teacher this year (well, so far. I started back school last week, so I'll see how it goes with her). The teacher seems to be tolerant, but its actually the students who aren't. After the pledge is done, they look at me like I'm such an unpatriotic a**hole and make little comments to each other and laugh and do other ignorant things addressed towards me. I consider this harrassment because it is an everyday thing. I'm not very good at confronting people and I was just wondering what are some reasonable things I could say to them to make them stop and be more tolerant of my decision not to stand? My classmates don't respect me because I'm the lesbian feminist type at my school, so I'm seen as weird anyway. I'm hoping after I confront them then maybe they will show some respect for my beliefs.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Tell them that with the right to speak, comes the right not to speak. It's more patriotic to stand up for your beliefs, than to stand up for the flag. "Words uttered under coercion are proof of loyalty to nothing but self-interest." ~ Justice Black regarding the Pledge of Allegiance

If they want to have more of a conversation with you, I've always thought that one of the most compelling reasons to not stand for the flag has nothing to do with religion, or rights or any other thing... but something that Justice Jackson said in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnett 1944 (the supreme court case that made it illegal for schools to coerce students to stand for the pledge). He wrote in the majority opinion, "the declaration of independence guarantees the people a government that derives its just powers from the consent of the governed, and the bill of rights denies the government any opportunity to coerce that consent". If the founding fathers had mandated any kind of pledge at all, it would have been for the government to pledge allegiance to the people, not the other way around.

The irony is that this court decision was arrived at by a supreme court that was extremely conservative by today's standards, but the pledge didn't have the "under god" part until 1954 when it was inserted by the Knights of Columbus after a lobbying campaign in congress. Before they added that phrase, most conservatives were against the pledge since they saw it as government control of the people, and conservatives are known for their disdain of government trying to control anything. But the moment it started promoting god, conservatives got on board right away.

Here's the deal, I think you should stand, but that's just me. I think you should *want* to stand. But if you don't want to, I won't try to convince you so --

If you're a (self proclaimed, not my words) agnostic lesbian feminist, especially considering the way you say it, I'm thinking you're putting yourself in a position to take on these battles. That's respectable. The pledge of allegiance is a serious thing, and to be honest, people could be doing a LOT worse than making comments and laughing, and you won't always be able to go to the principal. So I'm saying this for your own good, and I hope you know that just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm trying to spite you here but: choose your battles wisely. A couple kids poking fun at you because you won't pledge allegiance is nothing.

Save all this for when you come across something you really care about and are being heavily harassed. Being a feminist, especially a lesbian agnostic one, you'll eventually get yourself into a situation. Save your weapons.

(dude i'm baked so i don't know if this whole point i just made makes any sense)

It may be insulting in some ways to you. But the pledge is one minute, one minute in which we take the liberty to stand up, face the flag, and pledge to our country.

We take the time to respect the lives lost in wars, fights, and battles.

I recently moved to the Philippines (in Asia), and every morning I have to sing their National Anthem and 3 other songs along with their pledge. I don't like it, but it's out of respect.

You should respect our country, no matter what your rights are and aren't..

Stop paying so much attention to what other people think and say about you. Your "harassment" is imaginary and neurotic. I should say that I myself never stand for Pledge of Allegiance, or for the National Anthem, and nobody has yet been fool enough even to notice it--I think; though in all honesty they might have, and I just wasn't aware of it. God help the person, however, who ever does presume to notice whether I stand for the Oath of Allegiance or the Spar-Stangled Banner, or not, and who imagines that I won't mind his noticing: I'll serve him his head, loudly and vociferously. But it will not be for the purpose of making anybody show respect for my beliefs. I could not care less whether my beliefs are respected, nor can I conceive why they ever should be "respected"--and that, moreover, is not the issue here. My not standing for communal prayer is not a sign of what I believe in, but rather of what I disbelieve in, and of my sovereign right not to believe it.

Wow you sound like a shinny little ***** I stand for others national anthem at sporting events , there's lots of things I do that I don't want to but I do them because I know in reality it's not a big deal . Plus I don't think your classmates don't respect you because your lesbian but because your an arrogant little punk , if you have such a problem with the country that has given you everything you have you can't stand for a bit leave it I highly doubt you'll be missed.

It's better to ignore them because saying anything might look even worse than nothing. I'm in 10th grade and stopped standing for the pledge in my freshman year. A couple of kids don't and nobody cares, but my history teacher last year would force me to at least stand and I did so to avoid a fight. Now I wish I kept refusing.

Grade 10 is tough enough without making yourself a lightening rod! Don't expect any more respect than little Lisa Simpson gets at Springfield Elementary.

Too bad Americans never got the separation of church and state concept. Just like Iran.

I totally understand where you are coming from....i am pagan and do not agree with the "one nation under god" part, but I did serve 6 years in the army, and for me, it is more the respect for the military and this free country that gives you the right to not stand, i always stand quietly, i do not have to repeat the pledge or recite it, but i am respectful to what it stands for.

Sure, that's something that might make anyone feel uncomfortable but let it be more their problem than yours.

Maybe learn more about it, and be better prepared to explain why you refuse to stand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

The original Pledge read as follows:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You could one time stand and say it as it was originally written,

and repeat liberty and justice for all ! maybe add "that means everyone!"

and say it real loud so everyone hears you.

those people shouldnt be harrasing you...we dont have to even do the ******* pledge of alligence i hate well not that much but in my old school they made us sing the stupid song every day! now im going to 6th grade in my new school and we dont do that..you cant be forced to take to pledge its your life so if the teachers give you detention for not standing up...SOMETIMES THEY DONT STAND UP WE ARE ALL HUMANS SO WHY SHOULD STUDENTS STAND UP AND NOT TEACHERS :)

Source(s): I HAVE BIN SCREAMED FOR NOT SINGING TO SONG! fucking teachers -_-