Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If you're sad about something, and want to cry, but put on a brave face instead?

will the sadness eventually go away??? I mean after days and weeks and months and maybe even years of doing this. How long before it's just a sad memory and not something that makes you cry and struggle to function each day? What is your personal experience??

Favorite Answer

I cry. I try the brave face around my children at times but I am a person who often just lets go and cries. Maybe its because I am a "baby" and maybe its me letting my emotions get the better of me. I think now as an adult, I am more in control of why the tears comes. There was a time when I cried at church as the children came up front for the children's story as "Jesus Loves Me" was played on the piano. I am over that.

I cried at church when a lady who was told to abort, by the doctor told the story of how she kept the child, then the child died at the age of 2 days old.

Sometimes tears are good and putting on a brave face is trouble. Sometimes putting on a brave face is the only thing to do because of the nature of the problem. Its very hard to say what needs the tears and what doesn't.

• Autumn

Well, I don't like the outside world to see me all vulnerable so if I have to go out, I will try to put on a brave face. That does not mean that I try to fool myself, too. If I don't have to go out in public, then I will face my feelings and acknowledge them for what they are. If I'm sad and depressed, I will ask myself why, and if there's something I can do to alleviate it, I will. Sometimes, there are no easy answers or no answers at all, at least for the time being. Then, I try to deal with it, but I do it privately or with someone I trust. Some people will see it as weakness and stomp all over you.

Pretending it doesn't exist is not the answer, though. You need to do something about it now, or weeks, months, years later, it will probably have taken a toll and demand to be noticed some other way.

I don't think that will make the sadness go away, no. If anything, bottling it up like that will just keep making it worse for you till you eventually break down. I have to admit, I do the same, though. I don't like crying in front of people. I don't even do it that often in private.

not really. the sadness has to be dealt with and while you don't have to cry to do that ignoring something that is more than a slight disappointment will eventually make itself be known in a way that will not let you ignore it.

eventually though all pain and sadness fade if you work through them and let them go as you can.

I'm a big softie and have to let it out, I don't deal with it too well when I try to keep it all in, I'm still lost after doing this when my mother passed away because I'm not over it, its been 19 years now, enough is enough :)

Source(s): DA

You have to just let it all out or and if it really males you struggle that much. Talk to someone about it.

sometimes you may want to seek prof help there are all kinds of meds these day that might help or may be just therapy good luck

a couple days and then I forget depending on what memory it might be.

i don't do emotions......leave them for the weaklings imo