Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

Book recommendations for my little sister?

My little sister is almost 11. She loves mysteries and scary stories but not too scary. She's in fifth grade. Some of her favorite books are Deep Dark & Dangerous, The lightning thief series, and mostly ANY book she would probably like if it's by Peg Kerhet. Any suggestions?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

The Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing Hahn

Maximum Ride series by James Patterson

Wait Til Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn

Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn

Following the Mystery Man by Mary Downing Hahn

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Narnia series by C.S. Lewis

Vampirates series by Justin Somper

Ghost Ship: A Novel by Dietlof Reiche

My Sister the Vampire series by Sienna Mercer

Poison Apple series by Various Authors

Curse of Ravenscourt by Sarah Masters Buckey

Source(s): QuizList Interactive Amazon Common Sense Media My Books
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

--The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (In his will, multi millionaire Sam Westing gathers 16 heirs, and pronounces that however can solve the mystery of his death will recieve his entire fortune. However the murderer is one of the heirs)

--The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. It's the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series, a sequel series to the Percy Jackson (Lightning Thief series.)

-- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan is also kind of like the Lightning Thief, but with Egyption gods.

--If she hasn't already read the Harry Potter series, then i can't recommend that highly enough.

--Gone by Michael Grant is a fantasy, about what happens when everyone 15 and over disappears. Then the teens start developing powers, and choosing sides for the ultimate war.

-- The Alchemyst by Michael Scott is about Sophie and Josh, two twins who are thrust into a war between rival alchemists.

-- The Graveyard book by Neil Gaiman-- When Bod was a baby he crawled out of his crib and down the block, just escaping the murderer who killed his whole family 5 minutes later. Baby Bod is taken into a graveyard, and raised by ghosts, but even as the ghosts protect him, the man who killed his family is still out there, waiting for Bod)

-- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (In Tally's world, everyone gets surgery at 16 to become Pretties. All Tally ever wanted was to be a pretty, but when her best friend runs away, the authorites offer Tally a choice: find Shay and bring her home, or never turn Pretty at all.)

-- Matilda by Roald Dahl (Matilda isn't like the rest of her family. She's intelligent, honest, and kind, but apart from that, she can move things with her eyes.)

• 10 years ago

A Great and Terrible Beauty

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Terrible-Beauty-Libba-...

"Sixteen-year-old Gemma Doyle is different from the other girls at the London boarding school she lives in after her mother's tragic and strange death in India. In addition to not having the conformist mentality that girls of her class and station are trained to have, Gemma has a deep, dark problem that she does not know how to control. She has visions of tragic things that come true and has the magic key to enter an alternate place called the Realms, where every desire -- as well as every nightmare -- can come true. When she finds the diary of a girl with similar powers, she learns about a secret society called the Order, and she and three friends decide to explore the magical and strange world. But there are things that Gemma doesn't know about, secrets and mysteries that she will have to figure out on her own. And she tries to do this while a rather strange Indian boy keeps an eye on her and demands that she put a stop to her visions." From a rather good reviewer

I believe its target audience is a little older than your sister but there is nothing in it that would be inappropriate and it is one of my favorite Young Adult books. I guarantee she will like it.

Also I've heard the Golden Compass is very very good.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Paper cities The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth For Couples purely Bridge to Terabithia the large Divorce Black checklist The Fallen Angel (by technique of Daniel Silva) The devil Colony the respond you're searching for Is interior You The Yoga of nutrition "Michael Vey," 2 books so a procedures in sequence Tree Shepherd's Daughter (trilogy) watching for Adam West with the evening

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The Series of Unfortunate Events

The Spiderwick Chronicles

The face on the Milk Carton -- Caroline B Cooney (she was one of my FAVORITE authors at that age)

• 10 years ago

Series of unfortunate events

Narnia

Harry Potter

Coraline

Fablehaven

• 10 years ago

The hunger games series! its more fantasy but its really good and an 11 year old girl will love it

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Series of unfortunate evens, best series of mystery and adventure out there.

• 10 years ago

Hannah West on millionaire's row - Linda Johns

• 10 years ago

R.l Stine Fearstreet series

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.