Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Surround sound + xbox360 + tv. Help?

I just bought a new surround sound system and I'm having trouble hooking up my xbox360 up to it.

I have the surround sound receiver hooked up to hdmi out to my HDTV. The HDTV only has input, no output, if this helps.

I'm not getting video through the receiver to the HDTV. Would buying a optical cable solve anything?

Thanks.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • BANG P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Connect HDMI from Xbox to TV for video then optical cable from Xbox to sound system for audio.

• 10 years ago

This will depend on what type of surround sound system you purchased. Those home theater in a box are not flexible for adding or upgrading. They are designed to watch a dvd or blu ray disc movie through the system and connected to the tv with surround sound. Your tv should have an optical audio output, which has to be connected to a receiver or a home theater in a box with an optical audio input. This signal is digital which has to be decoded by a Dolby Digital decoder in a receiver or home theater. If you are using HDMI cable from your XBOX to the tv, then you have to configure the XBOX to output the audio via HDMI cable, you do not need an optical cable. Hope this will help you out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.